Which do I upgrade first, my Ryzen 5 1500x or my 1050ti?

connor.lee392

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
i have a ryzen 5 1500x and a gtx 1050ti 4gb with 2x8 ddr4 G.skill ram. should i upgrade my cpu before i bump up to the 1080?

Solution
Personally I would get the 1080 and see how it does. Most games don't take advantage of higher than 4 cores with 8 threads anyways at the moment so you could get away with sticking with the 1500x. AMD is going to be dropping their new 12nm revision of ryzen sometime in the first few months of 2018 anyways so I'd hold off until then to upgrade the cpu.

jpe1701

Honorable
Personally I would get the 1080 and see how it does. Most games don't take advantage of higher than 4 cores with 8 threads anyways at the moment so you could get away with sticking with the 1500x. AMD is going to be dropping their new 12nm revision of ryzen sometime in the first few months of 2018 anyways so I'd hold off until then to upgrade the cpu.

Solution

Mark RM

Admirable
Can you list all your components please? in detail? Including the monitor you use and refresh rate and the games you play.

If it's a case of one or the other I always go for the GPU first. It most often gives the biggest lift right away in GPU bound games.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

1080p?

if so the 1500x would be the bottleneck yes, they are not really good for high fps situations

it would be fine if you had a 1440p monitor

no other ryzen cpu would be much of an upgrade for gaming, you would be better off overclocking the 1500x

I think they meant bump up to the GTX 1080, and does it make sense to get a better CPU before getting the 1080.

I think you should get the 1080 now. Run your games and see how your performance is. If you need a better CPU, which I doubt, then you can get one later meanwhile you enjoy the improved performance. If you get a better CPU now you're still stuck with a 1050 Ti. How does that make sense?

TRENDING THREADS