[SOLVED] Which drive is better?

Oct 11, 2019
I'm planning to upgrade from my current hard drive to an SSD and I'm trying to decide between the Seagate 1 TB BarraCuda SSD and the Samsung 1TB SSD 850 PRO 2.5" SATA III. Does anyone have any experience with these or opinions on which is better.

Solution
What is the difference between the Pro drives and the regular drives?
A little bit better sustained performance with the Pro.
For instance, copying a few hundred GB to it from another equal speed drive. The Pro will maintain that speed throughout...the EVO will (eventually_ slow down a bit until the cache empties out.
But that is absolutely NOT something you notice in day to day usage.

If you notice, I have multiple Samsung EVO drives. 840/850/860. That is NOT an issue.

popatim

Titan
From benchmarks, the Samsung is better but not by alot.

Also, Seagate does not make their own controller or Nand flash chips. The controller is a Phison S10 and the Nand can vary depending on where Seagate gets it from this week. At least it's 3D TLC Nand.

Don't get me wrong, the review units have been good solid performers so if you can get it for a good saving then I wouldn't hesitate.

Reactions: Digital 987

USAFRet

Titan
A little bit better sustained performance with the Pro.
For instance, copying a few hundred GB to it from another equal speed drive. The Pro will maintain that speed throughout...the EVO will (eventually_ slow down a bit until the cache empties out.
But that is absolutely NOT something you notice in day to day usage.

If you notice, I have multiple Samsung EVO drives. 840/850/860. That is NOT an issue.

Reactions: Digital 987
Solution
The PRO versions have longer endurance. That is a moot point today with drives 240gb and larger.
They will be long obsolete by the time they run out of write capability.
The PRO versions are marginally faster in synthetic benchmarks, but you, as a user can not tell the difference.
Of the two you listed, the samsung 850 PRO is the better unit.
Pas that, the samsung ssd migration app is trivially easy to use to copy your windows C drive to a samsung ssd.

If you are buying new, the samsung 860 evo will cost less and perform the same.

TRENDING THREADS