Which drive out of these two shoul i get

Solution

Look fast storage, doesn't really mean everything will be super fast. If you are gaming, it certainly will not help get better FPS.

If I were you, grab a 500GB SSD. Throw a few programs like MS Office, Adobe, and of course Windows on it. Then everything else like games, documents, music, etc can be stored on a mechanical drive. It may...

Reise Martin

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

I was also thinking the same thing. It cost more money than every other pc part so far. I want fast storage but if im going to spend a lot of money I dont want to buy a 1tb drive then run out of money on an expensive drive since that will be the only drive on the whole pc.

Look fast storage, doesn't really mean everything will be super fast. If you are gaming, it certainly will not help get better FPS.

If I were you, grab a 500GB SSD. Throw a few programs like MS Office, Adobe, and of course Windows on it. Then everything else like games, documents, music, etc can be stored on a mechanical drive. It may take an extra few seconds (and I do more a few) to load, but spending hundreds of more will not be the answer.

Just my recommendation. I have a Samsung 500GB 750 EVO, and I am happy with it. Windows boots in 7 seconds, and never looked back. The 850s and 950s are faster, but I probably will not notice it very much.

Solution

Reise Martin

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

I said "I dont want to buy a 1tb drive then run out of money" was supposed to say "dont want to run out of storage after buying an expensive drive" but thanks for putting the perspective of load time it helps a lot here is my part list now https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZMBsM8

Ok a couple of things. You don't need 32GB of ram. No program will use that much. Windows does an amazing job at managming memory. In the future? MAYBE. But that future is a bit far away. Also, I added a CPU cooler, because yours do not come with one. I gave a 1TB hard drive and a 500GB SSD, which is pretty standard. You can change the size, but if you are gaming, this should be more than enough. You also don't need 750w of power. I gave you 550. Even if you add another 1080, would still have breathing room. I get money may be no object, but if you can save and use that money for something else (4K monitor?) then I'm all for it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£341.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£29.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS IX FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£338.69 @ More Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£73.85 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£143.94 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.64 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB CLASSIFIED GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card (£824.64 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Maker 5 ATX Mid Tower Case (£168.20 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.94 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £2045.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-06 13:37 GMT+0000

Reise Martin

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

Thanks for the suggestions I already have that cooler you listed and I already have the ftx 550 w psu aswell. I currently got 16gb of ram too and its not enough since I use about 14gb at peak and the system slows down edit: I also have a 1tb wd black and 2tb wd green

Reise Martin

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

Running 2gb ram virtual machines to run a automatic program in the background around 4-5 vms

Reise Martin

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

How much power do you expect it to use and I thought getting a platinum psu would save money on electric bill in the long run

TRENDING THREADS