Which drive seagate or wd?

wingfan1991

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
seems like WD 640gb is the choice around the forums (amongst gamers).. but does this come in 32mb cache? looks like i can only find 16mb cache versions.. and the segate 500/750gb drives are all 32mb cache.

does this make a huge difference? should i be buying the WD? the system it will be in is q6600, radeon 4870, 4gb ram. gaming/video editing is what the main purpose of system is for.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Actually WD has different warrantys for different drives, the blue and green series drives only have a 3 year warranty while the black series have 5 year. So you need to really know which drive your dealing with to figure that out. Here is the link to WD Warranty information page:

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp#policy

Now on Seagate drives they do the same thing with some drives having a warranty as short as one year. Here is the link to there warranty information page and pay attention to paragraph 3:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=46593ba94282b010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

So before you buy you need to check out just how long a warranty you get on the paticular drive you buy.

Myself in the last 20 years I have seen 8 WD drives either fail or arrive DOA after the last DOA drive from WD four years ago I switched to Seagate and have yet to see one of their drives fail. But that doesn't stop me from using WD drives in customer builds.

Guess I should add that any of the WD drives I had that failed, never failed before their warrantys were up. They all lasted the full term of each units warranty.

wingfan1991

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
doesnt sound like there is a clear cut winner here.. and if WD does in fact come in 32mb cache, im sticking to them.. always been reliable for me, why switch now?

millwright

Distinguished
I said MOST seagate drives have a better warranty than WD. If you check on New Egg all the seagate drives have a 5 year warranty.A dozen WD drives only have 1 and 3 year warranties.
You must really flip out when something big happens.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Oh brother, so uninformed.

Again...for you slow people....I gave him a link, and directed him to get the one with the 5 year warranty, which is the same exact price as the seagate with the 5 year warranty.
Seagate has models that are only 1/3 years as well.

Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed today or just not happy with what Santa brought for Christmas?

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008

lol!!

well, if it were my choice, id go with WD. theyve always been reliable to me:)
5 years of warranty coverage is nice to

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
They both make good drives, I have always thought the Seagates were quieter but then each person hears different sound ranges totally different. What may be quiet to one could be extreamly loud to another. None of my Seagates has lasted the length of the warranty, but only because I haven't had them for five years yet. What I didn't like from WD was the 3 I ordered that came DOA. But hey every manufacture lets a dud slip out the shipping door from time to time.

millwright

Distinguished
Like I said before I got sidetracked, I like both. The WD backup drive in this computer is 11 years old and still going strong. I also have 2 seagate drives that are 10 years old in an old junk computer that still work fine.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
seagate and WD are the best conventional HD manufacturers on the market. id say either would be an excelant choice. ive never tried seagate before but from what ive heard of them from reviews, they seem to be just as good as WD drives.

TRENDING THREADS