[SOLVED] Which drive should I get for backing up 12TB files?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2808222
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2808222

I’m looking to get the most reliable & long lasting 12tb hard drive to backup files from 5 other drives. Which of these should I get?

1. WD Ultrastar DC HC520 HUH721212ALE604 256MB 12TB
2. WD Ultrastar DC HC520 HUH721212AL5200 256MB 12TB
3. WD Gold WD121KRYZ 256MB 12TB
4. Toshiba MG07ACA12TE 128MB 12TB
5. WD Ultrastar DC HC520 HUH721212ALE600 256MB 12TB

Feel free to let me know about any other drives, recommendations or ways to backup the 12tb files that I’ll have. I’ve been looking at programs/services such as backblaze but getting a drive seems like the best & cheapest option. Here in Sweden, I can get a 12tb drive for about 300-440$ and the price for these drives seems to be dropping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The Seagate IronWolf has 3 years of warranty and 1 million hours MTBF while some WD / HGST has 5 years of warranty and 2.5 million hours MTBF, not sure if this makes the IronWolf drive a better choice. I’m not entirely sure how a NAS system works but if I’m not wrong you have to use one of the drives that are connected to it in order to make a backup of everything? Aren’t things slower when using a NAS? I’ve been thinking of getting the new WD black performance drive with 8TB and use the cheapest 12TB storage I can find for secure backups
Cheap and secure dont go together.
It would be a mistake to consider a single drive a backup solution, with no redundancy its not any more secure.
D

Deleted member 2808222

Look at the Seagate IronWolf, I run 3 8TB in a raid 5 at home for backups soon to be upped to 8 in a raid 6 config.
The Seagate IronWolf has 3 years of warranty and 1 million hours MTBF while some WD / HGST has 5 years of warranty and 2.5 million hours MTBF, not sure if this makes the IronWolf drive a better choice. I’m not entirely sure how a NAS system works but if I’m not wrong you have to use one of the drives that are connected to it in order to make a backup of everything? Aren’t things slower when using a NAS? I’ve been thinking of getting the new WD black performance drive with 8TB and use the cheapest 12TB storage I can find for secure backups

It would be a mistake to consider a single drive a backup solution, with no redundancy its not any more secure.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2808222

I haven’t decided the number of drives that I’ll be using to backup my files. What kind of backup method do you recommend?

D

Deleted member 2808222

Macrium Reflect is a popular backup tool.

I use an 8TB external drive for backups, plus I have a second 8TB external drive to backup the backup.
I plan on using a program like that for the drives that I’ll have, I also plan on doing scans for all of the drives regularly to check for issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS