Which Fan for the Scythe Mugen Max??

Preds

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
Hi guys, I wanted to know if any of you know of some good fans to attach to the Scythe Mugen Max heatsink.
I want to set up a push/pull configuration and I was thinking to use another scythe fan like the Scythe slipstream double-ball bearing PWM fan or should I take an SP fan from Corsair, or use an airflow optimized fan in combination with a SP fan. What do you guys think? All answers are appreciated! Thank you!

Solution
Not in my experience, it doesn't help much. Maybe some more if one fan is woefully small or bad. AS I said before, you can circulate inside the case a proper hurricane and it still not going to cool anything. What's needed is a lot of air going thru the case as possible and that means about same amount coming in as well as going out.
Another problem is that no amount of fans can make computer cooler than ambient air so some active cooling like air conditioner is only way after a point.
Make sure you have at least one fan blowing air at front and at least one blowing out at back.
Second fan may not and probably will not make much difference so you can use practically any fan of same size and similar performance. You are looking at 2 - 5c difference with 1 or 2 fans. It's more important to have good case cooling because CPU coolers will just cycle hot air around and not do any actual cooling.

Preds

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Really! The second fan does that little! But this article says different - http://proclockers.com/reviews/cooling/scythe-mugen-max-cpu-cooler-review?nopaging=1
Furthermore, how do you ensure good case cooling for a hot country though, any ideas, do you need more fans at higher rpm or something else, I'm a total beginner here, that's why I ask. :)

Not in my experience, it doesn't help much. Maybe some more if one fan is woefully small or bad. AS I said before, you can circulate inside the case a proper hurricane and it still not going to cool anything. What's needed is a lot of air going thru the case as possible and that means about same amount coming in as well as going out.
Another problem is that no amount of fans can make computer cooler than ambient air so some active cooling like air conditioner is only way after a point.
Make sure you have at least one fan blowing air at front and at least one blowing out at back.

Solution

Preds

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Hello and thank you for your response, I get the idea now about the movement of air THROUGH the case, not only the air movement within it. I guess it comes down to trial and error with different placements. Thank you very much for your time once again.

Some rules of the thumb for case cooling. Front and/or bottom and/or side fan(s) as air intake. Back and/or top fans as air exhaust. Air moving diagonally thru the case to cover most parts. PSU, depending on it's location and how it's turned (fan from outside of case or inside) can also be part of the equation. Modern GPUs also exhaust air from case (to the back) but can also benefit of some fresh air intake from side panel.

Preds

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Yes I see this config for most PC's and it seems to work, only there is the debate about positive and negative air pressure. However, I've heard that balanced air pressure was the best for cases, but it may not be easy to achieve.

Even, positive or negative pressure are of little consequence to actual cooling. Even or balanced may be best, positive pressure is said to collect less dust. What matters most is amount of air going thru the cases and preferably to cover most important parts, CPU, chipset and supply enough air to GPU. If it catches HDDs at least a bit can help too.

Preds

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Alright man, thanks a lot for your advice! :) !