[SOLVED] Which fan is best for a B450 Gaming Pro Carbon with Ryzen 5 3600 CPU?

RoguishThoughts

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
I am looking into improving my system's cooling, since it's running a bit hotter than I'd like. The system is a B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC with Ryzen 5 3600 and 48G of Patriot RGB (2x8 GB, 2x16 GB). An old CoolerMaster Half X case.

So I am looking at the:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html

DeepCool Assassin III or the Noctua brands (NH D14 model). But it seems the Noctua models may be too big and require a separately purchased assembly to mount it to the motherboard.

Which would be a better purchase, or is it the same? I am leaning towards the DeepCool Assassin III myself.

Thank you.

Solution
They type of cpu cooler you can use is really only dependent on the case dimensions. Noctua coolers will work on anything, but some models such as the NH-L9i are designed for Intel usage and the NH-L9A are designed for amd usage, same cooler, different mount, so if looking at Noctua, ignore the versions for TR4 or Intel etc. Most come with either Intel or Amd brackets, except specific models.

The reason the case is so important is the cpu cooler clearance height. Most of the Noctua towers and others such as the CM Hyper212 series run @ 160mm tall. If your case only has 152mm of clearance, those towers will not physically fit inside the case with the side panel in place.

Motherboard is almost immaterial, most coolers will have...

RoguishThoughts

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
I fear the issue with Noctua isn't the case, but the processor. It seems that the noctua line is made for AMD Threadripper, an AMD 4 socket. I've a Ryzen 5 3600, so it there may not be compatibility out of the box. But I think that after reading, I may go with the Assassin III after all.

So thank you!

PS: Learning that now. Looking into replacing the GBs. I have two kits, but they are mixed. Going to upgrade to the full 64 GB instead of leaving it a 48 GB. Thanks again!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
They type of cpu cooler you can use is really only dependent on the case dimensions. Noctua coolers will work on anything, but some models such as the NH-L9i are designed for Intel usage and the NH-L9A are designed for amd usage, same cooler, different mount, so if looking at Noctua, ignore the versions for TR4 or Intel etc. Most come with either Intel or Amd brackets, except specific models.

The reason the case is so important is the cpu cooler clearance height. Most of the Noctua towers and others such as the CM Hyper212 series run @ 160mm tall. If your case only has 152mm of clearance, those towers will not physically fit inside the case with the side panel in place.

Motherboard is almost immaterial, most coolers will have adapters for either of the mainstream intel/amd designs.

A Ryzen 3600 is easily cooled by any decent cooler. Just need one that fits inside the case.

Solution
I think your case will fit a cooler up to 190mm, there's plenty of them out there. Ive been using the be quiet dark rock slim and really impressed by it but a lot depends on whatever rocks your boat, ie, performance? RGB? noise level? etc.

RoguishThoughts

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
What country are you in, what's your proposed max budget?

They have a bearing on what I'd recommend personally.

The 3600 is not hard to keep cool with any decent tower cooler.

There are so many decent options but they're location/budget dependant.
The United States, roughly a 100 dollars towards this.

It seems my system is running on average 51-55 C on idle and up to 97 under stress load, so it may need a pretty good cooling system.

RoguishThoughts

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020

Motherboard is almost immaterial, most coolers will have adapters for either of the mainstream intel/amd designs.

A Ryzen 3600 is easily cooled by any decent cooler. Just need one that fits inside the case.
I have the old Half X Cooler Master case, and it has a significant room to work with.

Good to know that about Noctua! Thank you.

RoguishThoughts

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
I think your case will fit a cooler up to 190mm, there's plenty of them out there. Ive been using the be quiet dark rock slim and really impressed by it but a lot depends on whatever rocks your boat, ie, performance? RGB? noise level? etc.
I do image editing, but noise doesn't bother me. RGB would be nice but not essential. I am more concerned, above all, getting the temps down and perhaps noise as a secondary consideration.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright...5HH5G6E#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

A redesigned macho b rev 2 specifically for ryzen with an enlarged hotplate to suit the fact ryzen is slightly bigger and a newer and bigger ty147 140m fan.

Probably the best $50 cooler now the fortis 3 is out of stock.

You're close to dark rock pro 4 and noctua levels of performance for less money.

The offset heatpipe design also allows full ram compatibility.

RoguishThoughts

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright...5HH5G6E#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

A redesigned macho b rev 2 specifically for ryzen with an enlarged hotplate to suit the fact ryzen is slightly bigger and a newer and bigger ty147 140m fan.

Probably the best $50 cooler now the fortis 3 is out of stock.

You're close to dark rock pro 4 and noctua levels of performance for less money.

The offset heatpipe design also allows full ram compatibility.
That is a nice looking cooler. While reviews do have it as a bit difficult to install, that's not a major issue. Looks like it does a nice job.

Seems it won't conflict with the RAM clearance. Got Patriot RGBs installed.

Thank you!

RoguishThoughts

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
Update

The components have arrived and been installed. A Thermalright AGO M14G for Ryzen only and a Noctua 140mm fan, redux version.

While the system is still running on the hot side, it has improved greatly!

Before the components, the system was running at an average temp of 85 C with a CPU load of roughly 50%. A stress load of 100% took temps to 95-97 C. Now, with the same CPU load of 50%, it's running an average of 65-70 C, and with a load of 100% it runs average of 83 C. Still on the hot side, but much improved. I do believe the location of the system (the room) may be impacting so it will be located to a cooler room.

Thank you!

PS: The CPU cooler does sit in rather tightly next to the RAM sticks, though. Don't think paper would fit in between there. LOL.