[SOLVED] Which fan would be the best for the AMD Ryzen 9 3900x (also no temps in Speccy?)

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
Hey

So my new desktop has a AMD Ryzen 9 3600X and which it is a really nice cpu if you ask me (at least compared to my old i5) i managed to allow myself to be convinced to keep the stock cooler the wraith prism and i deeply regret this. The freaking thing sounds like a jet engine at seemingly ANY load so is there a more quiet cpu cooler that does not tank the cpu with poor cooling?

Also why does speccy not show the temp of the cpu? Do i need another program?

Solution
D
The case is a Fractal Design Meshify C tower-case which seems a bit snugg i was suggested that BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 before. Can it still keep this cpu cool with that RPM that it has?
Fractal Design Meshify C is a perfect case for airflow and my personal recommendation to many.

However, airflow still depends on your case fan placements. The most efficient placement is 2x 140mm/3x 120mm intakes and one 120mm or 140mm rear exhaust. No fans on top. Cool air from the outside goes into the CPU cooler, and hot air from the CPU/GPU leaves out the back. Streamlined front to back airflow.

I personally use 2x 140mm intakes and 1x 140mm exhaust, quieter and moves the same amount of air as 3x 120mm intakes on the front.

Anyhow, the...

Tom_nerd

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
The freaking thing sounds like a jet engine at seemingly ANY load so is there a more quiet cpu cooler that does not tank the cpu with poor cooling?
how loud is "like a jet engine" because I have a 3600X with a stock cooler as well and its nowhere near a "jet engine".
also try using a hyper 212 evo by cooler master. its a great price to performance and could easily cool the 3600X. this is because the 3600X has a 95 watt TDP and that is assuming that it is at its boost clock. and the hyper 212 evo has a max TDP of 150 watts. so should be good (y)

D

Deleted member 2720853

What is a Ryzen 9 3600X? Do you mean Ryzen 5 3600X or Ryzen 9 3900X?

Use Ryzen Master to monitor CPU temp.

I recommend Noctua's NH-D15 or NH-D15S. They're great CPU coolers and don't have a god forsaken fan clip system like the Dark Rock Pro 4, meaning you can actually take the fans off the cooler instead of using a tool or cutting your fingers off trying to grab the fan clips on the DRP4. They also don't wobble once you install them, something I hated with the DRP4. The Noctuas also have an easier mounting system.

I would also like to point out that getting a new CPU cooler is next to pointless in a chassis with poor ventilation.

Reactions: RodroX

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
The case is a Fractal Design Meshify C tower-case which seems a bit snugg i was suggested that BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 before. Can it still keep this cpu cool with that RPM that it has?

D

Deleted member 2720853

Fractal Design Meshify C is a perfect case for airflow and my personal recommendation to many.

However, airflow still depends on your case fan placements. The most efficient placement is 2x 140mm/3x 120mm intakes and one 120mm or 140mm rear exhaust. No fans on top. Cool air from the outside goes into the CPU cooler, and hot air from the CPU/GPU leaves out the back. Streamlined front to back airflow.

I personally use 2x 140mm intakes and 1x 140mm exhaust, quieter and moves the same amount of air as 3x 120mm intakes on the front.

Anyhow, the Dark Rock Pro 4 can definitely keep a 3900X cool, it's a high end CPU cooler which is on par with the Noctua NH-D15/NH-D15S. I am recommending against it because of the installation, and the fan clips which are a nightmare to remove.

I am recommending the Noctua coolers mentioned above because they have an extended warranty of 6 years compared to the Dark Rock Pro 4's 3 years (which means that Noctua sends you fan replacements free of charge if one of them happens to die out, which is extremely rare with Noctua fans), Noctua provides you with free mounting kit upgrades in case you want to keep using the cooler on another motherboard, and the coolers come with an entire tube of high-end NT-H1 thermal paste, compared to the measly amount of paste the Dark Rock Pro 4 gives you.

But, this is just a recommendation. You can still go with the Dark Rock Pro 4 if you want. If you DO go with any of the Noctua coolers, be sure to check motherboard compatibility and case clearance on Noctua's website.

Lastly, RPM barely matters on a fan. What matters is the static pressure (if mounted on a CPU cooler heatsink) and the CFM (amount of air it moves). My Noctua fans are so efficient I don't even need to bring them past 1000 RPM even under load.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
That puts me in an irritating spot. I really HATE the noise this one makes but i'm also really bad at fiddling around with hardware. I don't see what else i can do to keep the CPU from revving up the moment i fire up a game tho.

D

Deleted member 2720853

I have edited my reply above. Please read it.

Nothing much you can do besides getting a new CPU cooler and possibly modifying your case fan placements if they aren't already perfect.

Did I mention that the Dark Rock Pro 4 and Noctua NH-D15/NH-D15S are all very quiet under full load?

Reactions: KiwiBlitz

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
Welp i really want a quieter fan but i'm afraid of breaking something because of how badly me and tech get along. Something to think about i guess. Are these noctua coolers easier to install for someone with the technical skill of a blind elderly monk?

D

Deleted member 2720853

They are definitely easier to install than the Dark Rock Pro 4. Noctua's SecuFirm2 mounting system is held in high regard for a reason.

I recommend looking up videos on how to install it if you aren't confident.

Again, check case clearance, RAM clearance and motherboard compatibility before making a purchase.

D

Deleted member 2720853

So you have the Wraith Prism cooler? Yeah, it can get loud.

But I assure you installing the Noctua cooler is ten times easier than installing a spring lock cooler like that. It's also ten times quieter...

I wouldn't consider AIOs because they are unreliable. NH-D15 can tame a 3900X, and allows for great turbo/overclocking headroom.

D

Deleted member 2720853

So what is the diffrence then between Noctua NH-D15 and NH-D15S?
Only difference is that the NH-D15S is built in a way that allows for better compatibility with your RAM and top PCIe slot. That means it won't get in the way of your graphics card or taller RAM sticks.

They are virtually the same. Thermal results are the same, if a little higher by one or two degrees on the NH-D15S due to the lack of a second fan.

Attach a second NF-A15 fan to the NH-D15S and you've got yourself a NH-D15. But I'm recommending both so you can pick based on your liking.

NH-D15S comes with only one fan, NH-D15 comes with two.

And another thing, if you don't like the color scheme of the coolers, you can go for the Chromax Black versions of them. There is no difference in performance, only color.

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
Well i should have the cooler on friday. I just hope i can find a good enough guide to drag me through the removal and install.

Also going to order another fan for the front as right now i just have the two that came with the case. Any suggestions for what that fan should be?

D

Deleted member 2720853

The cooler comes with a tube of NT-H1 thermal paste which is up there with other high end thermal pastes. An entire tube like that costs $12.

Apply a single pea-sized dot in the middle of your CPU. Don't over-apply -- less is more when it comes to thermal paste. The cooler will spread the paste on the CPU just fine, no need to apply more than a dot on the middle.

When you get to the part where you have to screw in the two screws of the cooler onto the mounting hardware, make sure to alternate between screws, which means screw in the left screw for a bit, then the right, then the left and so on until the cooler is mounted. Do not overtighten any screws. When you feel resistance from the screw, stop.

You would need some isopropyl alcohol (or thermal compound wipes, Noctua makes some as well) to get rid of your current paste.

As for the case fans, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 are great. Other options include Silent Wings 3 or Noctua NF-A14 fans, but those are expensive. Make sure to put them in a positive pressure configuration which means more intakes than exhausts, which means 2x front intakes and 1x rear exhaust.

Make sure you have enough system fan headers (SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN) on your motherboard. If not, you might need a fan splitter. Those are relatively cheap. Do not put more than 2 fans on the splitter if you are going to use one.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: