[SOLVED] Which gadget do you use (other than a laptop) to test network continuity from the terminal end of ethernet cable?

Newtonian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
Which gadget do you use to test network continuity from the terminal end of ethernet cable?

I can do that with my laptop, but it's cumbersome. Is there a hand-held gadget with a RJ-45 port that can do that?

I have a NF-488 tester, but it requires you to plug the other end (the router end) with an emitter.
I'm looking for a way to test the continuity without having to plug the other end with an emitter.

Depends on what you mean. You want to plug something into just one end of a cable with nothing connected on the other. That takes a very special and extremely expensive meter (like over $1000) that can actually detect the length of cable by looking at things like signal reflections. Even these the preferrred method is to put a tester on the far end. They also make somewhat cheaper device that will test if the far end is plugged into say a switch or router. This is not as acurrate as using a specail box on the remote end.

You can go to fluke site and see all the cool toys and likely will decide a cheap tool and some inconvenience is a better option.

Lutfij

Titan
The need for an emitter comes from the need to verify that the sent signal is received on the other end. If you send out a signal but have no way of receiving it, how do you know the other end received it? It's akin to you holding a balloon, tethered to a string, towards the wind and letting it go without being able to catch it, it'll go somewhere for sure but you don't know where it's going.

Last time I had to fabricate patch cables, I made sure to get an RJ45 tester, had NS-468 written on it but it comes in different shapes and sizes and models. That made life simpler.

ajohnson30

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
"Ethernet testers" can be had on Amazon for as little as $9.99 (yes, with an emitter). Why wouldn't you want one if you really want to do this?

That said, I'd probably get a slightly better one, but hey, it's better than nothing.

Depends on what you mean. You want to plug something into just one end of a cable with nothing connected on the other. That takes a very special and extremely expensive meter (like over $1000) that can actually detect the length of cable by looking at things like signal reflections. Even these the preferrred method is to put a tester on the far end. They also make somewhat cheaper device that will test if the far end is plugged into say a switch or router. This is not as acurrate as using a specail box on the remote end.

You can go to fluke site and see all the cool toys and likely will decide a cheap tool and some inconvenience is a better option.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS