[SOLVED] Which gaming monitor i should go for?

fpshooterful

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
Samsung 32" LC32JG52QQNXZA:
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=124367
OR
MSI Optix AG32C 31.5" LED
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=117882

I currently have asus vg248qe 24"

I need a monitor that is at least 30" plus for my movie experience. But also my biggest concern is that between the two monitors is the colors going to be washed out?

My current monitor Asus Vg248qe the colors are very vibrant and really good for gaming and between the Samsung and Msi which one is worth the upgrade?

MY main concern is that getting one of the two monitors i mentioned, the colors aren't going to be very vibrant?

I have to purchase to my local Canada computer store due to warranty reasons, and also ofcoures i want a brand new monitor.
My PC specs:
8700 non k
1080gtx it
NVME 256gb WD BLACK
650 psu bronze

Solution
How much are you into gaming?

I would not buy these monitors.
1. MSI is HD, and you have a good graphic card that can handle QHD quite easily. I have GTX 1070 and in Battlefield V with Nvidia recommended settings I get 75 to 100 FPS. You would probably take more than 100 fps.

2. Samsung does not have Freesync, that means you will have issues in gaming. Honestly I don't think as of 2019 I don't think any monitor without Freesync or G-Sync should be named as gaming monitor. Because they are not.

Buy a QHD Freesync monitor. If possible IPS, if your budget does not allow anything else. But QHD and Freesync I believe is a must. And 32" HD monitor is a very bad idea, too much pixelazation you will face.

fpshooterful

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
MSI option is best amongst these two. It's better for gaming and I personally know the colors are pretty good. I have the MAG321CQR.

Hi, thanks for the response. I was leaning more for MSi, but, the Samsung has 1440p. As of right now all the games i play never drop below 100fps due to my 1080gtx ti.

So i would like to kinda stay in that area where i don't drop below 100fps. With the Samsung 1440p, is there a chance for me to drop below 100fps?

Hi, thanks for the response. I was leaning more for MSi, but, the Samsung has 1440p. As of right now all the games i play never drop below 100fps due to my 1080gtx ti.

So i would like to kinda stay in that area where i don't drop below 100fps. With the Samsung 1440p, is there a chance for me to drop below 100fps?

Of course there's a chance, though it varies from game to game. Some triple A titles will probably be well optimized so on 1440p you may stay above 100 FPS but for indie/non-optimized games you'll struggle a bit even with the 1080 Ti on 1440p. So it varies.

I actually didn't even notice the MSI one you chose was 1080p. If you want 1440p go for it. I like it and my 2080 Ti still holds most games at 144+ FPS. The only downside of the Samsung that I can tell is the 4ms response times, which could lead to color blending in dynamic games, making things blurry when moving the camera.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019

1. MSI is HD, and you have a good graphic card that can handle QHD quite easily. I have GTX 1070 and in Battlefield V with Nvidia recommended settings I get 75 to 100 FPS. You would probably take more than 100 fps.

2. Samsung does not have Freesync, that means you will have issues in gaming. Honestly I don't think as of 2019 I don't think any monitor without Freesync or G-Sync should be named as gaming monitor. Because they are not.

Buy a QHD Freesync monitor. If possible IPS, if your budget does not allow anything else. But QHD and Freesync I believe is a must. And 32" HD monitor is a very bad idea, too much pixelazation you will face.

Solution

fpshooterful

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013

Hi, thank you for all the detailed information. Yes, the budget is kinda an issue for me. Not sure where you are from, but here in Canada tax in Ontario is REALLY high. We are talking about going just about 100 dollars more high just in tax.

I do want a 32 inch at least sz screen because i would like to enjoy my movie experience. I will look into QHD
freesync if it fits my budget. I have to get it from Canadacomputer since thats pretty much the only option for me when it comes to warranty and decent prices.

My biggest concern is the vibrant colors. A friend of mine has a BenQ something 144hz, and the frames are nice, but the quality ain't that good. I for SURE want to go either with gsync or free sync. I do see a big difference. For now, i will look into QHD, but if i have no option you wouldn't recommend the MSi monitor? I might get it by this weekend or even tomorrow.

I think $600 will be my max for my budget.

fpshooterful

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
HEY, how about this? https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=135104 This fits my budget.

OR this, but it's about 100buks extra over my already tight budget.
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=098428

I would like to push to the highest FPS as possible. That's another concern of mine. As of right now my Asus vg248qe, i am pushing about 130+ fps average and about 110fps minimum for GEARS 5 1080p ALL on ULTRA, and i would like to maintain that kinda FPS.

Also, G sync is very important since i have a Gigabyte 1080gtx Ti. Or and monitors that are Freesync that also can support G sync.

Last edited:

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
HEY, how about this? https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=135104 This fits my budget.

OR this, but it's about 100buks extra over my already tight budget.
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=098428

I would like to push to the highest FPS as possible. That's another concern of mine. As of right now my Asus vg248qe, i am pushing about 130+ fps average and about 110fps minimum for GEARS 5 1080p ALL on ULTRA, and i would like to maintain that kinda FPS.

Also, G sync is very important since i have a Gigabyte 1080gtx Ti. Or and monitors that are Freesync that also can support G sync.

The first one is for you. The thing about Freesync that it eliminates the effect of fluctuations in fps. So that even in the brief cases you fps drops you will hardly notice it. I have read some reviews and it works good with Nvidia G-Sync support for Freesync.

The second one, a big no it is not Freesync.

fpshooterful

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
The first one is for you. The thing about Freesync that it eliminates the effect of fluctuations in fps. So that even in the brief cases you fps drops you will hardly notice it. I have read some reviews and it works good with Nvidia G-Sync support for Freesync.

The second one, a big no it is not Freesync.

I see, for the first link my concern is vibrant colors. Will i be getting that with the
LG 32" QHD Gaming 144hz monitor? This will be my first QHD monitor. I will go to the store either today or tomorrow to check out the demo if they have any for this LG monitor.

Also since this monitor is 1440p do you think i can still maintain a 100fps minimum? Never going below 100fps? Cause as of right now with my current monitor i don't go below 100fps for all my games set on ULTRA.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
I see, for the first link my concern is vibrant colors. Will i be getting that with the
LG 32" QHD Gaming 144hz monitor? This will be my first QHD monitor. I will go to the store either today or tomorrow to check out the demo if they have any for this LG monitor.

Also since this monitor is 1440p do you think i can still maintain a 100fps minimum? Never going below 100fps? Cause as of right now with my current monitor i don't go below 100fps for all my games set on ULTRA.

About the colors you should check it yourself, I like IPS colors, but IPS is not that vibrant.

About 100 fps minimum, your GPU is capable. In BFV (one of the most demanding games) in QHD, with my 1070 I get 70 to 100 fps depending on the map in High to Ultra settings. QHD monitors has 70 percent more pixels, so you will not get the same performance. But at the same time I do not think you will get bad performance. 90-120 would be at least I would expect and probably you will get more.

And with Freesync if it gets less than 100 fps in some cases, you would hardly notice it, as Freesync solves screen tearing, and you will always have smooth screens.

fpshooterful

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
About the colors you should check it yourself, I like IPS colors, but IPS is not that vibrant.

About 100 fps minimum, your GPU is capable. In BFV (one of the most demanding games) in QHD, with my 1070 I get 70 to 100 fps depending on the map in High to Ultra settings. QHD monitors has 70 percent more pixels, so you will not get the same performance. But at the same time I do not think you will get bad performance. 90-120 would be at least I would expect and probably you will get more.

And with Freesync if it gets less than 100 fps in some cases, you would hardly notice it, as Freesync solves screen tearing, and you will always have smooth screens.

Hmm, ya i am kinda an FPS "nut". I would like to stay at 100fps at all times. Because i do find a difference when i drop below 90fps. Not that much of a difference, but you can tell, for a game like GTA V.

Going from what i use to go through which was 90fps to 130ish fps with my 1070 gtx previously, which wasn't bad. But with my current 1080gtx ti, man, staying a constant 130 to 155fps is really nice w/ ASUS VG248QE 24"

The LG link i mentioned earlier, i am not sure will go with that Monitor, even though you recommended it, only because it has 7.7ms. Maybe this monitor is different because its 1440p? (never had a 1440p monitor before) .When i went to my friend's house i kinda noticed a difference between his 5ms 144hz monitor vs my 1ms 144hz monitor.

As of right now my top two choices are this:

1. Go with this monitor cause it will be A LOT cheaper and it's kinda the same monitor as my current one, the only difference is that its G-sync (big plus), and 27". I really like my current monitor cause of the vibrant colors, but no gsync, so if the colors are the same, then i will go for this monitor: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1104&item_id=112492
Coming around $425 with tax in total.

2. https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1104&item_id=133993
Go with this monitor, but i am kinda going ALL IN with my cash. I will end up spending $758 dollars w/ tax.

So, you're looking at about $300 dollars in the price difference between the two monitors.

Thank you again for your help. Alot money is involved. I kinda want to just get a monitor where i dont have to upgrade for some time. If i go with the 1440p QHD monitor i would like to be above 100fps at all times or go with a 1080p 144hz to 165hz monitor and play it safe knowing for sure i will always be at a high frame rate.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Hmm, ya i am kinda an FPS "nut". I would like to stay at 100fps at all times. Because i do find a difference when i drop below 90fps. Not that much of a difference, but you can tell, for a game like GTA V.

Going from what i use to go through which was 90fps to 130ish fps with my 1070 gtx previously, which wasn't bad. But with my current 1080gtx ti, man, staying a constant 130 to 155fps is really nice w/ ASUS VG248QE 24"

The LG link i mentioned earlier, i am not sure will go with that Monitor, even though you recommended it, only because it has 7.7ms. Maybe this monitor is different because its 1440p? (never had a 1440p monitor before) .When i went to my friend's house i kinda noticed a difference between his 5ms 144hz monitor vs my 1ms 144hz monitor.

As of right now my top two choices are this:

1. Go with this monitor cause it will be A LOT cheaper and it's kinda the same monitor as my current one, the only difference is that its G-sync (big plus), and 27". I really like my current monitor cause of the vibrant colors, but no gsync, so if the colors are the same, then i will go for this monitor: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1104&item_id=112492
Coming around $425 with tax in total.

2. https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1104&item_id=133993
Go with this monitor, but i am kinda going ALL IN with my cash. I will end up spending $758 dollars w/ tax.

So, you're looking at about $300 dollars in the price difference between the two monitors.

Thank you again for your help. Alot money is involved. I kinda want to just get a monitor where i dont have to upgrade for some time. If i go with the 1440p QHD monitor i would like to be above 100fps at all times or go with a 1080p 144hz to 165hz monitor and play it safe knowing for sure i will always be at a high frame rate.

About LG you are right, if you are that FPS nut, you will notice.

I have Aorus AD27QD the second monitor. And it is very good let me say. But yes somehow expensive, but I don't think you will regret paying 200 USD more.

If you will be going with HD, don't upgrade to 27". Because after 23" pixelization starts, and I hate it.

Here is a youtube video For BF V. Very much it confirms my numbers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BzPqhMEnME

And another video but this time for GTA V

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf5kx-im1qw

It seems if you are keen in keeping it at least in 100 fps all the time, QHD might not be right for you. However my experience is that with the help of Freesync, here and there small fluctuations should not prevent you upgrading QHD.

fpshooterful

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
About LG you are right, if you are that FPS nut, you will notice.

I have Aorus AD27QD the second monitor. And it is very good let me say. But yes somehow expensive, but I don't think you will regret paying 200 USD more.

If you will be going with HD, don't upgrade to 27". Because after 23" pixelization starts, and I hate it

It seems if you are keen in keeping it at least in 100 fps all the time, QHD might not be right for you. However my experience is that with the help of Freesync, here and there small fluctuations should not prevent you upgrading QHD.

Thank you for those links. Ya, i was kinda thinking that it would hit below100fps time to time for 1440p. Which isn't bad, but for me i kinda wanna future proof it.

Dx12 is becoming more demanding, and one thing i do like about 1080p gaming is that for a game like GEARS5 i am at a constant 140 to 180fps outside, inside 250fps, all on Ultra. I think i am more for a Frames guy vs Quality.

But, at the same time i need to see a live demo. It's kinda been a while since i saw a QHD monitor. But from what i remember it has really vibrant colors. It's like you you almost can see the object come to life. If its what i remember, then maybe i will just go all in and spend the 700buks.

Last edited: