Which GeForce GTX 880M Gaming Laptop is Right for You?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ram1009

Distinguished
These vendors are exploiting uninformed consumers. The term "gaming laptop" is an oxymoron. The laws of physics cannot be ignored. Personally, I don't know why anyone would even attempt to use a touch pad to control a game. It's hard enough with a mouse or controller.

VENAXIS

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
You do understand that gaming on a laptop shouldn't be perfect. Price-wise it's also a rip off. When you buy a "gaming laptop" you need to understand that your maximum resolution usually wouldn't exceed 720p (This is perfect for gaming laptops).I have owned a 1080p laptop with a 6990M GPU. Although it was able to run all games maxed out at 1080p at high frame rates (And the screen was beautiful), it didn't live long. Laptops main issue for gamers is air cooling, due to all the hardware parts being crammed above each other. This problem causes all your hardware parts to overheat and eventually expire (Except in winter).I also paid the same amount of money on my much more superior PC with 2K 1440p screen that I paid on my gaming laptop. This is something to think about if mobility is not a priority to you since it comes at a price.You want above 1080p resolutions with stable temperatures and frame rates? Get a high-end PC.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Venaxis, some gaming laptops have a good cooling system and the components are tough. I have been running a distributed computing project on both the CPU and GPU of my gaming laptop for years with no failure. About 85 Celsius on the GPU nearly 24/7 sometimes into the 90s in the summer. The CPU sometimes gets to 80 C but usually stays around 75C. Asus G50VT Nvidia 9800GS, X9100 CPU overclocked to 3.45GHZ / 1.3125V 24/7.I wouldn't worry about components 'eventually expiring' (except in winter).

VENAXIS

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
Venaxis, some gaming laptops have a good cooling system and the components are tough. I have been running a distributed computing project on both the CPU and GPU of my gaming laptop for years with no failure. About 85 Celsius on the GPU nearly 24/7 sometimes into the 90s in the summer. The CPU sometimes gets to 80 C but usually stays around 75C. Asus G50VT Nvidia 9800GS, X9100 CPU overclocked to 3.45GHZ / 1.3125V 24/7.I wouldn't worry about components 'eventually expiring' (except in winter).
Hmm these temperatures look safe looking at your CPU and GPU - I can't say the same thing about the components I had, specially the 6990M. I had similar temps on my gaming laptop as well, but the only time it wouldn't feel hot touching my laptop while gaming was in winter, or when the AC was on (Heck, I used to turn on the AC at 18-21 Celsius temperature to play on my laptop while wearing a winter jacket. That was a sad phase). That's when my laptop would be stable. I don't think it's wise to let your laptop run 24/7, specially when it's working to its full potential (Not to mention the noise and heat it will produce at such temps - Unless it's fine with you). That's what desktops are for. Now, compared to my 90C GPU and +70 CPU on my laptop, I get 58C maximum temp on my GPU with everything maxed out (HIS 7970 IceQ X2) and 43C maximum CPU while running the most demanding programs and games at the same time (FX-8350 overclocked to 4.51GHz). I understand that laptop components are generally designed to endure high temperatures, but the price difference between gaming laptops and gaming PCs is just ridiculous (Specially when at the same price you can do much more with a PC than with a laptop).My previous comment was about resolutions and limitations on laptops in comparison to PCs.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Yeah my laptop chassis is hot most of the time but I like number crunching. I don't have a desktop, my laptop is my primary machine. Of course I let it idle when on battery power of course.
Yep buying gaming laptops new are a bad deal, buying one used though if you don't need max graphics..

VENAXIS

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
Yeah my laptop chassis is hot most of the time but I like number crunching. I don't have a desktop, my laptop is my primary machine. Of course I let it idle when on battery power of course.Yep buying gaming laptops new are a bad deal, buying one used though if you don't need max graphics..
Agreed.

Davidus416

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
I have the ASUS with 32gig memory on order. Ships from Newegg April 4. I picked it over MSI and Alienware due to the price/cooling solution. Origin was over-priced and, to a lesser extent, so was Alienware. You pay $500-$1,000 more for those names without any demonstrable better quality.

Davidus416

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
I have had the ASUS for 1 week now. It is fast, great graphics and runs cool. Definitely the smarter buy over a comparable Origin or Alienware with same specs costing hundreds more.

Status
Not open for further replies.