Question Which gen Intel processor should I get?

William00

Honorable
May 7, 2016
I've decided that I want to get a new gaming laptop after having a laptop that had a dual core Skylake processor that was not powerful enough for some of the tasks that I want to do. I am trying to find a laptop with a 9th gen Intel Core i7 H series processor but some are either too expensive or don't offer the storage that I want. I looked at laptops with 8th gen Intel Core processors and they were hundreds of dollars cheaper. I feel tempted to buy the laptops with 8th gen CPUs but I feel like I could be missing out on better performance. Would it be a better idea to save up for a laptop with a 9th gen CPU or are the 8th gen CPUs good enough?

William00

Honorable
May 7, 2016
I'd say go with the 8th generation. There are some great 8th generation CPUs.

That being said.....I am running a first generation i7-980 and it can run pretty much any game out there fine on 1080p.......STILL.
Thanks for the reply. I remember hearing that the 8th gens got hardware patched for Spectre and Meltdown and it could have lead to the processor's performance decreasing. I'm worried as to if the performance decrease is significant. I would just hate to miss out on better performance if I choose an older processor. If it's small, then I'll take an 8th gen.

William00

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Thank you. I got a new laptop the other day with an Intel Core i7-8750H and it broke within 10 minutes after opening it out of the box. It shut itself off during a firmware update that was installed automatically through Windows Update and it wouldn't boot anymore. I returned it and got a new one that was more expensive with a Core i7-9750H but got a good deal on it with a couple hundred off. Very nice CPU.

Last edited: