Which Gigabyte drivers for my SSD?

JohnnyGui

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012
Hello all,

Sorry but I'm quite new to this. I have bought a new PC with a Neo Forza 256GB SATA 600 SSD and Windows 10 Pro x64. Scanning through the Gigabyte storage drivers webpage for my motherboard, I found the following drivers:
- Intel Optane Memory
- Intel Rapid Storage
- Intel SATA Preinstall driver (For AHCI /RAID Mode)

I have got 2 questions.

1. Which of these drivers do I need for my NeoForza 256GB SATA600 SSD? For example, I read that the Intel Optane Memory driver will not accelerate M.2 SSD's but I'm not sure if my SSD is M.2.

2. If I need to install the Intel Rapid Storage driver, is there a way to only get the "pure" driver files from Gigabyte support instead of installing the whole software? I just want to install the driver files through the Windows Device Manager.

I'd appreciate any clarification on these questions.

Solution
quite likely or CPU support for it, I think like intel 8000 series or something like that.
I am pretty sure that the installer will stop you if you don't have support for it though
your SSD is SATA (big hint in the disk name)
If you want just drivers, the 3rd option for SATA preinstall driver is your best choice since you don't want additional software.
the optane memory is it's own kind, seemingly pretty much only for intel's own special SSD's Your's isn't that and it will give you no benefit that I can see (or even want to install)

JohnnyGui

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012

Thanks for the info. Any idea how to install this SATA driver along with Windows? Do I have to put the SATA drivers on the same boot USB as the Windows installation files?

Also, what is the benefit of the Rapid Storage drivers? Will this do anything beneficial to my SSD?

basically, yes.
I usually create bootable windows 10 installation USB and after it's done (And has space) just create extra drivers folder there to put important drivers in (If I need them)

If computer sees your SSD you do not need to install the driver at that point. (I think there was an option of installing drivers when choosing for where to install windows) If not, it's necessary.

Rapid storage drivers mostly add windows side components of motherboard based RAID usage, if you are not using that... I don't see great benefit in them.
I've not seen them hurt me either though so... you can do whatever you want.

JohnnyGui

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012

Thanks a lot for your info. One last question, is there any benefit to install that SATA driver even if I don't need it (computer sees my SSD).

EDIT:
Also, I found this about Optane Memory (source):
"Optane memory works with any kind of RAM modules, storage drives, and graphics cards that will fit in a compatible motherboard. At the moment Optane is not sold in laptops, but they may become available at some point. At the time of writing, Optane’s software component is only compatible with Windows 10."

It seems to be also suitable for other SSD's?

Possibly slight performance improvements/bug fixes over the older one that microsoft uses.
Installing new one will be easy enough through device manager.

Edit:
As for the Optane memory thing, I have no personal experience with it since it requires more recent hardware than I have. but since it is completely software based, you are free to try it out and see if it benefits you or not.

JohnnyGui

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012

I added something about Optane Memory in my OP just when you replied. Here it is:

A source states that Optane memory works with any kind of SSD:
"Optane memory works with any kind of RAM modules, storage drives, and graphics cards that will fit in a compatible motherboard."

EDIT: Nvm you alreaqdy replied to it. Thanks!

JohnnyGui

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012

I just noticed something that wasn't obvious to me before. For the Optane Memory driver you would need a built-in phyisical Optane Memory module in your motherboard. Correct?