[SOLVED] Which GPU and PSU to get?

Oct 11, 2020
So i posted a thread on maybe upgrading my computer on a budget and got some really great responses, but decided to not do the CPU, GPU, MOBO, RAM and PUSU upgrade because it would be $1000 dollars and i don't use my computer that much for gaming. From what I researched and some of the responses I got, a GTX 1650 Super would work twice as good as my GPU. Computer Specs are:

*AMD FX-8350 BLACK EDITION
*XFX AMD R9 280 3GB
*ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
*KINGSTON HYPER FURY X 4GB 1600 MHZ X 4. SO 16GB TOTAL
*CORSAIR FORCE GT 180GB SSD
*SEAGATE BARRACUDA GREEN 2TB HD
*THERMALTAKE TR2 500W
*COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 PLUS COOLER
*ZALAMAN Z11 PLUS CASE

So would like to know if any other card would work well for the intent to upgrade rest in a year or 2? Would also like some direction on a PSU because alot are to big to fit case? thanks for any help.

Solution
The 1660 good for future upgrade?
In what way?

It's a decent 60fps 1080p card. If you want something that will give you ultra 1080p performance on anything you play then you'll need to spend significantly more. If you really want to spend the extra money, this would give you far better performance, graphically, but you're absolutely going to need to upgrade your CPU, motherboard and memory to take full advantage of it. It would make for a very solid foundation for upgrading the rest of the platform though. It would also give you about double the performance you have now, and I mean ACTUAL double the performance, if not better.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO ULTRA GAMING Video...
Not even CLOSE to "twice as good". Better, yes, but not by that much. The performance difference is probably more along the lines of about a 35-45% increase in performance. Twice as good would be 200% of the original performance.

If you replace the graphics card, then replacing the power supply should be compulsory. In fact, even if you changed nothing at all, replacing it should be a priority.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020
Not even CLOSE to "twice as good". Better, yes, but not by that much. The performance difference is probably more along the lines of about a 35-45% increase in performance. Twice as good would be 200% of the original performance.

Don't expect to see double the performance. Also, your power supply is really bad. Honestly, it's garbage, especially if it's the older version TR2, but even the newer TR2 units are not very good.

If you replace the graphics card, then replacing the power supply should be compulsory. In fact, even if you changed nothing at all, replacing it should be a priority.
Thanks for the response. Any suggestions o PSU or a different card?

Last edited by a moderator:
And what exactly is it that you want to get out of this upgrade? Are you looking to get higher FPS at the same resolution and quality settings, or are you looking to be able to play at the same FPS but with HIGHER quality, or higher resolution?

Or, are you wanting to see an increase in both quality settings AND performance/FPS? What resolution are is your monitor, and is that going to stay the same for the foreseeable future or do you plan to upgrade the monitor to a higher resolution model anytime soon?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Ugh, sorry, this tweaked my inner-math-nerd OCD side. Twice as good is 200% of the original performance, or a 100% increase in performance.

(I realize I've just become that guy...)

But point very valid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 11, 2020
And what exactly is it that you want to get out of this upgrade? Are you looking to get higher FPS at the same resolution and quality settings, or are you looking to be able to play at the same FPS but with HIGHER quality, or higher resolution?

Or, are you wanting to see an increase in both quality settings AND performance/FPS? What resolution are is your monitor, and is that going to stay the same for the foreseeable future or do you plan to upgrade the monitor to a higher resolution model anytime soon?
So have 1080p running. just want better resolution and maybe fps. I know this is not gonna be great but better than what i have. New GPU and PSU would go into upgrade into future. I know CPU is old but still runs decent.

Ugh, sorry, this tweaked my inner-math-nerd OCD side. Twice as good is 200% of the original performance, or a 100% increase in performance.

(I realize I've just become that guy...)

But point very valid.
No, that's wrong. Twice as much as 100% is 200%. Your math is faulty, or rather, you are trying to say the same thing, but for whatever reason think they are not the same thing when they are.

https://themathpage.com/Arith/percent_1.htm

This will give you tremendously better 1080p performance, BUT, if you are looking for very high FPS performance, like for 144hz/fps gaming, you are absolutely going to need to do a platform upgrade as well because your old FX platform is just not capable enough. It wasn't great even when it was new and it's much, much worse now, all these years later. So, try the card and PSU, and you'll see a lot of improvement, but if FPS are not high enough for you even if you drop some settings, then you'll want to look at doing a platform upgrade as well. There is no reason you can't do it piecemeal. Do this first, and the rest later if you need to. You may not need to.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($226.99 @ Staples)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $306.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-14 22:35 EDT-0400

Oct 11, 2020
This will give you tremendously better 1080p performance, BUT, if you are looking for very high FPS performance, like for 144hz/fps gaming, you are absolutely going to need to do a platform upgrade as well because your old FX platform is just not capable enough. It wasn't great even when it was new and it's much, much worse now, all these years later. So, try the card and PSU, and you'll see a lot of improvement, but if FPS are not high enough for you even if you drop some settings, then you'll want to look at doing a platform upgrade as well. There is no reason you can't do it piecemeal. Do this first, and the rest later if you need to. You may not need to.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($226.99 @ Staples)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $306.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-14 22:35 EDT-0400

In what way?

It's a decent 60fps 1080p card. If you want something that will give you ultra 1080p performance on anything you play then you'll need to spend significantly more. If you really want to spend the extra money, this would give you far better performance, graphically, but you're absolutely going to need to upgrade your CPU, motherboard and memory to take full advantage of it. It would make for a very solid foundation for upgrading the rest of the platform though. It would also give you about double the performance you have now, and I mean ACTUAL double the performance, if not better.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($333.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $443.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-15 03:19 EDT-0400

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yep . . @DSzymborski , @Darkbreeze - I have now been reminded that I tend to read faster than I should the more tired I get. My brain/eyes decided that since they saw "increase" with regard to the 35%-45% number, they were also going to tell me that I saw "increase" after the 200% as well. :oops: o_O

Ah, the joys of insufficient sleep.

Brain: "No, it really did say increase. Or maybe decrease. Or maybe creased. Trust me. Creases were involved."

Me: (glaring at my brain) "Cut the crap!"

Oct 11, 2020
Wanting to do a Gpu and Psu upgrade. Have posted on here before and looking at other forums I came to the conclusion that for what I have and no wanting to spend alot of cash that either a gtx 1650 super or a rx580 is the gpu to get. As for power supply should I get a 650 or 750w? Would use psu in a future build down the road. So which Gpu and Psu to go with? Fx 8350 and 16gb ram at 1600. Now I know this is a crap cpu but just want a slight better performance for a year or so. Current Gpu is R9 280 3gb. Crap so. Any help is great. Thanks.