Which GPU can I use in this motherboard?

Shoshey

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
Hello, my computer currently has 8GB of RAM but has no graphics card, has been using only the integrated Intel Q45 chipset. I would like to get a (modest) graphics card, maybe something around a hundred dollars. I am not looking to make a state-of-the-art PC that can handle the latest games, just something that can do light gaming better than it currently is with no GPU.

My motherboard is a Dell OptiPlex 0F428D, SiSoft Sandra says it has 4 open expansion slots:
for 2 of them it says "PCI 32-bit +5v +3.3v PME full available"
then theres "PCIe x1 +3.3v PME full available"
and also "proprietary x1 PME full available"

Also I see that I have only a 250 watt power supply, and I know I will have to upgrade that to handle a graphics card, and am prepared to.

Please tell me what my options are given these parameters?

And please, I'd rather no one expended their time and energy explaining that any result will be too lame to bother with, and that I should just start a new build. I'm interested only in the possible, which is the modest increase I can get with a $80-$100ish graphics card and maybe a $50 power supply. What could be done with $500 that I don't have to blow on a new computer isn't of any benefit to me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond.

Solution
That's what I was asking yes. These are the tech-specs for your Dell Packaged PC:

http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/optiplex-960/pd

FYI: It contains a PCIe x16 1.0 (that's your type of Graphics Card slot). That's quite an old slot type (2.0 is the standard with 3.0 becoming more and more common).

Here's Tom's Hardware's suggested list of GPUs and their prices:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-2.html

This site recommends the R7 250X or, if you can afford it, the R7 260X, both of which will run happily in a PCIe x16 1.0 slot.

Depending on what type of case you have with your packaged PC dictates what kind of PSU (Power Supply Unit) is inside. I'd recommend a 450w or higher PSU for that...
What's the model of package computer you have? I can't seem to find technical specifications for a 'Dell OptiPlex 0F428D' Motherboard.

If I can find out your exact MoBo then I can recommend a good Graphics Card that's compatible, as well as the appropriate PSU Wattage to support it.

Shoshey

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
Thanks Thelps, this is in a Dell case, but I don't know if its a off-the-assembly line package or if it was cobbled together from parts - I got it from some online computer company about a year ago...

...ok, I see where Sandra is calling my computer a "Dell OptiPlex 960", would that be what you are asking?

That's what I was asking yes. These are the tech-specs for your Dell Packaged PC:

http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/optiplex-960/pd

FYI: It contains a PCIe x16 1.0 (that's your type of Graphics Card slot). That's quite an old slot type (2.0 is the standard with 3.0 becoming more and more common).

Here's Tom's Hardware's suggested list of GPUs and their prices:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-2.html

This site recommends the R7 250X or, if you can afford it, the R7 260X, both of which will run happily in a PCIe x16 1.0 slot.

Depending on what type of case you have with your packaged PC dictates what kind of PSU (Power Supply Unit) is inside. I'd recommend a 450w or higher PSU for that Graphics Card though, if you have the slimline case version of this Dell PC it might be difficult to accommodate a higher-powered PSU.

You'll see right at the bottom of the specifications page on the Dell website the different Wattage ratings of the different PSUs depending on what type of case your Package PC is housed in.

Solution

Shoshey

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
Great, thank you! This is good, this is progress. I'm looking at that Dell spec site, I'm not 100% sure if my pc is the "desktop" or "mini tower" - its the middle one in the picture, that is also the median of the three in size. Is that the "desktop"?

I think that's the 'Desktop' model, yes. So you have a 255W PSU. For the Radeon 7770 (A.K.A. R7 250X) you'd want a 500W PSU minimum. That's according to this useful chart MSI produce as a reference for their products:

http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

If you can afford it, the top of this Graphics Card's 'class' is the GeForce 560 Ti though those retail for closer to $250.

As for a power supply, if you measure your current PSU this will allow you to ensure that any you purchase fit in your current case. Most PSUs include their Height, Width, Depth dimensions on the webpage offering them, or on the box. You should be able to find a 500W PSU for around $50 without too much trouble. Just make sure it has the correct PCIe x16 Power Connectors for your chosen card.

Shoshey

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
I think I will go with the Radeon R7 260X, but how do I "make sure the PSU has the correct PCIe x16 Power Connectors" for it? The specs for that card on the page you linked to above list under Auxiliary Power Connectors "1x6-pin"...is that what you mean? I need a 500W PSU with the same or smaller dimensions than my current one, that has 1x6-pin Power Connectors?

That's absolutely correct, yes.

If you have trouble finding a PSU that will fit your case, many manufacturers produce cases that come with a PSU included. However, you'll need to relocate your entire system into a new case so it's a little inconvenient.

Shoshey

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
Ok, my current PSU is a Dell AC255AD-00. This link has both a pic and dimensions - http://www.impactcomputers.com/ac255ad-00.html

It has a strange non- rectangular, stepped sort of shape. According to that site the dimensions are

Height (Y) 125 or 4.92126 inches
Lenght (Z) 135 or 5.31496 inches
Width (X) 100 or 3.93701 inches

I have been looking and I can find 500 watt PSUs that have the 6-pin PCI connector the Radeon R7 260X needs, but I haven't found one that is the right size. This case just isn't that big. Can you recommend one? Thank you very much for all your help.

Edit: if there are no power supply units that will fit and meet the other criteria I'm looking for, can you recommend one of those cases with the PSU already in it, like you mentioned above? Thanks again

My research indicates that most cases that include a PSU don't have a PCIe x16 6-pin connector on the PSU, unfortunately.

You may want to consider a case and a seperate 500W PSU that you confirm includes a 6-Pin connector. I understand that isn't what you want to hear but I can't locate a case + PSU combo that has a 6-Pin PCIe x16 connector.

Matthew Nestor

Reputable
Feb 28, 2015
I have this same setup and would like to ask what is the best way to run four monitors? Currently I am running two 27" AOC monitors and would like to add two more to that setup. I do not do gaming, I am a simple software developer but know hardly anything about hardware. Recommendations or solutions?