Question Which GPU is better? (ASUS vs EVGA)

marek_shields

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
Looking to get a 2080 Ti in the near future and, after doing some research, narrowed down the list to just a few cards. Two of the cards in particular that I was looking at are the following:

ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC (ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING)

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 (11G-P4-2487-KR)

Does anyone have any particular reason why the would choose one over the other? In the past, I have had good luck with both manufacturers but I wasn't sure if there was some feature about a card that makes it superior to the other (i.e. cooling, build quality, etc.)

I prefer EVGA, since they have a very good customer service and they allow warranty to be transferred.
I also like their inexpensive 5 & 10 years extended warranty.
I have dealt with Asus and they try to blame consumers for their faulty parts by nick-picking.
If a sticker is pealing off because of heat they could deny the warranty.

All things being relatively equal, I go with the company that has exceptional customer support.

Years ago (2006 or 2007), I had a video card that I used on Linux...nVidia drivers installed and everything was fine, until I moved to dual monitors. Card had the heads for it, but just wouldn't do it. I called EVGA less than a week before my warranty was due to expire (unknown to me) and tried to figure out what I was doing wrong with their tech support folks.

They volunteered the information that that particular GPU had a firmware fault that prevented both heads being used--only with Linux--and insisted on upgrading me to a later model (with more memory and a better core) for free, and extended the warranty on the replacement card.

Until EVGA does something Earth-shatteringly horrible, they are my go-to for GPUs.

Last edited:
The EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra 11 GB [11G-P4-2487-KR] performs better right out of the box than the ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX OC 11 GB due to EVGA's 105 MHz higher boost clock.

The cooling fans on the EVGA card are louder though.

marek_shields

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
I prefer EVGA, since they have a very good customer service and they allow warranty to be transferred.
I also like their inexpensive 5 & 10 years extended warranty.
I have dealt with Asus and they try to blame consumers for their faulty parts by nick-picking.
If a sticker is pealing off because of heat they could deny the warranty.
I have heard that EVGA's customer support was very good. As for the warranty, how expensive is a warranty on a card like that?

marek_shields

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
The EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra 11 GB [11G-P4-2487-KR] performs better right out of the box than the ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX OC 11 GB due to EVGA's 105 MHz higher boost clock.

The cooling fans on the EVGA card are louder though.
The higher boost clock is nice but is it that they are using the top end of the batch of chips to get it up there or just pushing the average batch higher so you don't have as much overclocking room as on the ASUS cards? I also thought I read somewhere that the EVGA card doesn't have the same voltage restriction that the ASUS cards has though I don't really plan on doing crazy overclocking if I overclock the card at all.

The higher boost clock is nice but is it that they are using the top end of the batch of chips to get it up there or just pushing the average batch higher so you don't have as much overclocking room as on the ASUS cards? I also thought I read somewhere that the EVGA card doesn't have the same voltage restriction that the ASUS cards has though I don't really plan on doing crazy overclocking if I overclock the card at all.
Better binned GPUs are used. The Power Limit cap on the EVGA card is set higher than on the ASUS card so overclocking is slightly better.