Which GPU is better for AAA gaming : gtx 1050 4 gb vs gtx 1050 ti 2 gb

Apr 20, 2018
I'm looking to get a new laptop and i have to choose between gtx 1050 4 gb and ti version with only 2 gb. TI is still more powerfull even if it has less memory ?

Solution
Neither, unless you're fine with running at low settings all the time. A 1070 - 1060 if you're really on a tight budget.
Laptop parts do not perform as well as their desktop equivalents, so if you want to game AAA on one, it'd be best to grab one with parts on the higher end = $$$
But I would prioritize having a strong cpu, as most AAA's are cpu heavy.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Neither, unless you're fine with running at low settings all the time. A 1070 - 1060 if you're really on a tight budget.
Laptop parts do not perform as well as their desktop equivalents, so if you want to game AAA on one, it'd be best to grab one with parts on the higher end = $$$
But I would prioritize having a strong cpu, as most AAA's are cpu heavy.

Solution

I think that is very presumptuous to say that the CPU is more important than the GPU.
In my experience they go hand in hand. Lets look at Far Cry 5. It is mainly GPU orientated not CPU bound, where as if you look at Civ 6, it is more CPU (just for speed though) than GPU.

Id rather have a 1070 and a slower cpu than a fast cpu and a 1050. But all depends on the games you play.
Without the GPU, you will never have Eye Candy.

I recommend you look at the games you want to play and look at the reviews of the games on websites like Guru3d who put CPU and GPU to the test.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

I'm referring to people who will get a beefy gpu and pair it with a crap, or subpar cpu. This is even more crucial for a laptop(parts not as powerful as their desktop variants). There are more cpu bound AAA titles than there are gpu. If the OP is going to get a 1050/ti, I'd hope they at least get an I7 in there.
A decent 'gaming laptop' does not come cheap. I'd recommend an I7, or the I5 8600, and pair it with 16gb ram and a 1070. A 1060 6gb would be ok, if the screen's refresh is just 60hz.

PCMAN

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I understand not all can do so then go always for bang for the buck.This said

I see gamers with top videocard but CPU is a mid range i5
Top end single cards should be on i7 4 core higher GHz
OR
SLi top line cards and again cut cost with a 4 core more GHz less pci lanes need 32 for 2

All SLi should be on 6 core more pci lanes more 6+ core games out slowly but out

I'm on a X Series i7 6850k 6 core on X99 chipset setup 2 1080gtx sc

Given all you got to slow cpu bottleneck

There is a difference in performance a tiny one for now but not for ever With pci lanes

TRENDING THREADS