Which GPU is better for me?

kevin t

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
Hi I'm building my first gaming rig and was debating on which GPU is better for me. Should I get an XFX r9 280x for 230$, or should I get an MSI GTX 770 for 290$? I heard the 280x might have some artifact or screen flickering problem.. but I also heard since its XFX they have a lifetime warranty. Which should I choose? Please help, thanks!

My specs so far:
i5 4690k
ASrock Z97 Pro4
1tb WD blue HDD
NZXT Phantom 410 white case

Solution

The GTX 770 will probably suit you the best, but if you play AMD games with Mantle, the R9 280X would be the best option. It is also cheaper as well.

Andrew Buck

Honorable

The 280X doesn't experience flickering problems from my knowledge. It really depends on the games. The R9 280X is the best bang for the buck. It also has higher minimums and little bit lower maximums than the GTX 770 in this article: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/amd-radeon-r9-280x-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-which-is-fastest

M0j0jojo

Honorable
I would go for the GTX 770 since its clearly better in most if not all the games http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/amd-radeon-r9-280x-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-which-is-fastest.

It also features PhysX and is also G-Sync Ready.

kevin t

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

Well I'm going to be mostly gaming. I play League of Legends mostly but there are future titles that I would love to play later on.

Andrew Buck

Honorable

The GTX 770 will probably suit you the best, but if you play AMD games with Mantle, the R9 280X would be the best option. It is also cheaper as well.

Solution

kevin t

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

Does the PhysX and G-Sync Ready make it better enough to get for the 60$ price difference?

kevin t

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

I think imma go with the r9 280x since its cheaper for similiar performance, and that warranty seems to be the cake. Thanks

Andrew Buck

Honorable

PhysX would be a great benefit you a great bit if your CPU isn't the best at Physics, which Intels are pretty good, but you have a 4690k, which is quad core, so it isn't the best in Physics. The 770 would be best. For G-Sync, you would need to implant a G-Sync chip in your monitor. It probably would justify the price.