Question Which GPU is better?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 4, 2022
I'm planning to buy a GPU to play some simple games (mainly minecraft and older steam games) and i cant decide between the Geforce gt610 with 2GBVRAM or the AMD Radeon R5 220 also with 2GBVRAM, they are around the same price point so it's a matter of which one is better for games
(also my processor is the Intel Core 2 Quad q8400)

Reactions: artk2219
i meant that i saw somewhere that it needs a 300w power supply, and mine is only 250w
Can you supply a make/model of your 250w psu?
Or, post a photo of the data plate which is required to be present on all power supplies.
Details the 250w of the power supply will tell if the psu has most of the 250w on the +12v rails where modern processors and graphics card needs it, or, if it is an obsolete unit that had most of the 250w allocated to 5.5v and 3.3v where old pc's needed it.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022
@rom47394

would be helpful if you supply us with info that geofelt is asking for.

that way, we could know if your psu can handle the gpu that you're gonna buy.
@rom47394

would be helpful if you supply us with info that geofelt is asking for.

that way, we could know if your psu can handle the gpu that you're gonna buy.
This is the power supply sticker
View: https://imgur.com/a/z4NtD56

(also it's in portuguese)

Your psu is, indeed an old style psu with half of the power coming from 3.3 and 5v.
Still, your cpu has a tdp of 85w and the cards that are being considered will use only about half of the 75w that the pcie x16 slot is capable of delivering.
Other parts such as drives tale trivial power.

What I would worry about is not that an add in card won't run, but that such an old and crappy psu might get stressed and fail, damaging anything it is connected to.

With such an apparently limited budget option, buy what you can afford.
and see how it goes. You really have little to lose.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@rom47394

one last input on the thread. This info might be useful to you. The old psu of my lga 775 mobo, fortunately, died in a way without damaging anything else (pc still works, and it's been 3 years since the psu died). The first signs were when I was playing Gradius games, when there are many ships shooting their lasers, the pc would shut down without warning. It worsened as the days passed, when even watching videos on youtube caused the pc to turn off. That's the time I replaced the old psu with a better one, and the auto shutdowns stopped. So when you start encountering pc shutdown during gaming. That's a possible sign of the psu dying.

Last edited: