Question Which Gpu is Suitable for Optiplex 755

Oct 25, 2021
Hi Everyone,
I've Optiplex 755 Core 2 Quad Q6600
And this is my System Information.

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r8.150127-1500)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: OptiPlex 755
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A11
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3956MB RAM
Page File: 1973MB used, 3070MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode

InvalidError

Titan
If the motherboard supports UEFI boot, you may be able to toss a GT1030 in there, preferably a GDDR5 variant. If you have a slim Optiplex, you will need a low-profile card.

Having 4GB of RAM will severely hinder your ability to run new-ish games as most require 8GB to run with any degree of comfort.

Oct 25, 2021
You will need something that doesn't require external PCI-E power, most likely. Is this a SFF tower, or a more standard sized unit?
It is MT (Tower)

If the motherboard supports UEFI boot, you may be able to toss a GT1030 in there, preferably a GDDR5 variant. If you have a slim Optiplex, you will need a low-profile card.

Having 4GB of RAM will severely hinder your ability to run new-ish games as most require 8GB to run with any degree of comfort.
I've MT (Tower) PC
So Can u tell me/give me suggestion about gpu's in details?
and their prices(if you can) i will appreciate it!

And how can i check that my motherboard supports UEFI boot or not?
[Edit] If i'm not wrong i searched about it on Internet And found a way to check if my motherboard is running on Uefi or Bios.
And after Applying that method i found out that my pc is running on Bios

Incase you want to see The "UEFI Checking" Method And My Results

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021
If your motherboard supports UEFI boot, there should be an option somewhere in BIOS to enable UEFI mode.
and how will i find it then?

btw, i tried to install windows 8.1(Which i'm using now) from a bootable usb device the format in which i tried to do it was required UEFI To install it from usb but when i tried to find how to enable EUFI Mode i couldn't find it.
i hope you'll tell me how to do it.
then i can be sure if i can run the GPU which you're suggesting me or not.

Oct 25, 2021
It is MT (Tower)

I've MT (Tower) PC
So Can u tell me/give me suggestion about gpu's in details?
and their prices(if you can) i will appreciate it!

And how can i check that my motherboard supports UEFI boot or not?
[Edit] If i'm not wrong i searched about it on Internet And found a way to check if my motherboard is running on Uefi or Bios.
And after Applying that method i found out that my pc is running on Bios

Incase you want to see The "UEFI Checking" Method And My Results
BIOS Mode Is Legacy

when i tried to find the word "UEFI"

logainofhades

Titan
sorry to say but we are making this thread a big one.
to make it short,

can u tell me the procedure while asking a question?
Will you tell me how to check wattage of the PSU?

You have to open the case, and read the PSU label.

I also found this regarding GPU installation. Looks like there are some size limitations, due to the idiotic way Dell designed the motherboard.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl5x79LrwyA

https://www.dell.com/community/Desk...lex-755-mt-graphics-card-upgrade/td-p/4390501

Oct 25, 2021
UPDATE : i've got an answer from another forum (will not mention the name)
but, here is a pic of it!
The Answer which i got from another forum.

I was about to say the same thing.

What is the purpose of this machine? It is 100% useless as a gaming machine. As it requires something like a GT 710, and those are LONG out of production, you'll pay $90 for a questionable used card.

Even this board here with built in integrated graphics might be MORE powerful for $150. Add memory $50 and $200 you have a viable new computer.
Asrock Gemini Lake Intel Dual Core J4005 Micro ATX DDR4-SDRAM Motherboard - Newegg.com

You can get a reasonably fast new computer for about $400 provided you can reuse the drives (SATA) and Power Supply. But at 225 Watts for the PSU, you'll be running a low power APU only.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021

What is the purpose of this machine? It is 100% useless as a gaming machine. As it requires something like a GT 710, and those are LONG out of production, you'll pay $90 for a questionable used card.

Even this board here with built in integrated graphics might be MORE powerful for $150. Add memory $50 and $200 you have a viable new computer.
Asrock Gemini Lake Intel Dual Core J4005 Micro ATX DDR4-SDRAM Motherboard - Newegg.com
so what should i do then? i had a budget of $20–22 to upgrade my gpu so i can do a bit of medium gaming.
can i get a good cpu with that amount?
or what if i give my Optiplex 755 and 20$ to get a new pc?
and what if i do it what can i get with it?

Upvote

so what should i do then? i had a budget of $20–22 to upgrade my gpu so i can do a bit of medium gaming.
can i get a good cpu with that amount?
or what if i give my Optiplex 755 and 20$ to get a new pc?
and what if i do it what can i get with it?

Upvote

I'm sorry but these machines are NOT suitable for gaming. It could be used as a network device like a file server. That's it. But it's not worth it considering you have to buy a graphics card. You have ZERO options here. What you effectively have is waste.

UPDATE : i've got an answer from another forum (will not mention the name)
but, here is a pic of it!
The Answer which i got from another forum.
The motherboard in a SFF case is limited to 25w. For a MT case it's 75w.
Original-Motherboard-for-DELL-OptiPlex-755-MT-motherboard-Q35-GM819-JY065-Y255C.jpg

That said: GTX 750 (TI) and HD7750/R7 250 are nice cards with a C2 Q6600

Last edited:
Reactions: AntonyLovric

InvalidError

Titan
What does "medium" mean here?

By modern standard, the most powerful GPU that can realistically be paired with a C2Q would still struggle at low details in today's games. If you want to play games at "medium" details without breaking the bank on the GPU for a C2Q, you will be looking at retro gaming and the most lightweight of newer games.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

logainofhades

Titan

You can get a reasonably fast new computer for about $400 provided you can reuse the drives (SATA) and Power Supply. But at 225 Watts for the PSU, you'll be running a low power APU only.

It does not require a GT 710. That video I linked the person put in a GT 730. Even if it did, you can get a new one for $60. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QwcMnQ/pny-video-card-vcggt7102xpb

Looks to be a 305w unit.

That's a combined 305. It's 264W or so on the 12V. That power supply will choke given the age and what the CPU already uses. Conservative estimate says run it no more than 169W (20% cap decay and run no more than 80% rated cap (so .8 * .8)) It's simply not worth it.

And he's certainly not going to find anything for $20-$22 (even the most rudimentary baseline card)

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
I had an Optiplex 755 MT with a BFG 9600GT for YEARS (E6750, then Q9400S) on the stock 305 watt PSU.

9600GT needs 95 Watts (had a SATA to MOLEX adapter). I was about to say 'you could run any newer GTX #30/50 Series (GTX 750, 950, 1030, 1050, 1050 TI)'. but there is one (1) small disclaimer.

The Q6600 (105W) draws 40W more than the Q9400S (65W) I had, but I believe the processor uses mostly 3.3v power.

Your overall power draw would be a little higher than mine was but the 12V portion of the PSU would have the same load. I do however think you would be bottlenecked by that processor.

logainofhades

Titan
That's a combined 305. It's 264W or so on the 12V. That power supply will choke given the age and what the CPU already uses. Conservative estimate says run it no more than 169W (20% cap decay and run no more than 80% rated cap (so .8 * .8)) It's simply not worth it.

And he's certainly not going to find anything for $20-$22 (even the most rudimentary baseline card)

I found one close enough to that mark. Not a performance winner, but for a core 2 rig, playing older, and lightweight games, it would get the job done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174799669907?epid=621813897&hash=item28b2df4a93:g:ggIAAOSwfWBgw6bb

InvalidError

Titan
The Q6600 (105W) draws 40W more than the Q9400S (65W) I had, but I believe the processor uses mostly 3.3v power.
Motherboards haven't been using 3.3V power for the CPU's VRM at least all the way back when mainstream CPUs passed the 40W mark with the Pentium III. At a glance, the 755's PSU appears to have an ATX12V connector as you'd expect out of anything from the P4 era or newer that normalized 60-90W mainstream CPUs.

If you wanted to power a 60W CPU from 3.3V alone, you'd need the ATX connector's entire 3.3V budget for the CPU itself, not leaving much for RAM, PCIe, chipset, etc. that may also run from 3.3V.

Reactions: AntonyLovric

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Motherboards haven't been using 3.3V power for the CPU's VRM at least all the way back when mainstream CPUs passed the 40W mark with the Pentium III. At a glance, the 755's PSU appears to have an ATX12V connector as you'd expect out of anything from the P4 era or newer that normalized 60-90W mainstream CPUs.

If you wanted to power a 60W CPU from 3.3V alone, you'd need the ATX connector's entire 3.3V budget for the CPU itself, not leaving much for RAM, PCIe, chipset, etc. that may also run from 3.3V.

Yeah I'm feeling old now. I think the processor still uses a lower voltage, but you're right, the motherboard probably takes the ATX12v and regulates it down to 1.5 ish volts. That would cause the 12v line to need 40 watts more than my original setup (Q9400S vs Q6600).

I still think he'd be ok with a 75W GPU in his situation.

TRENDING THREADS