[SOLVED] Which gpu should i choose?

Feb 6, 2021
Hello i have a ryzen 3200g cpu and for the games i played the integrated graphics did the job. Now I'm playing cod warzone with my friends but on low settings and for me it's unplayable so I want to add a gpu. My question is which one is the best for my cpu which won't cause any bottlenecks and will provide me those extra fps I need? Max 400$ thanks!

Solution
Unfortunately, no matter what GPU you upgrade to, a Ryzen 3200g is going to give you problems when playing COD Warzone.

Everything you see on your screen has to pass through your CPU before it reaches your GPU. Your CPU has only 4 cores and 4 threads, has low clock speeds, and doesn't even provide a full PCIe x16 connection to the GPU (strangely, it's limited to a PCIe 3.0 x8 connection).

COD Warzone will happily utilize all 6 cores and 12 threads of a Ryzen 3600; it'll run much better overall on a CPU like this, but even with this CPU you'll never be able to hit frame rates over 100 fps due to the Ryzen 3600's low boost clocks, low IPC and high internal latency (reducing graphical settings reduces the load on the GPU, it doesn't...
Unfortunately, no matter what GPU you upgrade to, a Ryzen 3200g is going to give you problems when playing COD Warzone.

Everything you see on your screen has to pass through your CPU before it reaches your GPU. Your CPU has only 4 cores and 4 threads, has low clock speeds, and doesn't even provide a full PCIe x16 connection to the GPU (strangely, it's limited to a PCIe 3.0 x8 connection).

COD Warzone will happily utilize all 6 cores and 12 threads of a Ryzen 3600; it'll run much better overall on a CPU like this, but even with this CPU you'll never be able to hit frame rates over 100 fps due to the Ryzen 3600's low boost clocks, low IPC and high internal latency (reducing graphical settings reduces the load on the GPU, it doesn't make it easier for the CPU).

This might be more information than you cared to hear, but I'm basically saying to not spend your whole budget on a new GPU, because it is extremely likely that once you do you'll be CPU limited and will be looking at a CPU upgrade in the near future.

Solution
Feb 6, 2021

COD Warzone will happily utilize all 6 cores and 12 threads of a Ryzen 3600; it'll run much better overall on a CPU like this, but even with this CPU you'll never be able to hit frame rates over 100 fps due to the Ryzen 3600's low boost clocks, low IPC and high internal latency (reducing graphical settings reduces the load on the GPU, it doesn't make it easier for the CPU).

This might be more information than you cared to hear, but I'm basically saying to not spend your whole budget on a new GPU, because it is extremely likely that once you do you'll be CPU limited and will be looking at a CPU upgrade in the near future.
Thanks for all those informations i didnt even know about them so i guess u saved me a lot of bucks. So im determined to make an upgrade at my system. Can u tell me which cpu and gpu should i choose? Keep in mind im not using heavy proggrams or games(expect warzone) so all i need is a cpu+gpu that would make my warzone experience better that my current cpu can. Thanks again!

It's because of the miners and scalpers. Hopefully prices will go down in two or three months.
Actually from what I read there are other factors to. Limited supplies of GDDR6 and competing with consoles that need the memory. Supply chains being delayed due to pandemic PPE equipment taking priority. I’m also reading that the car industry is putting extra demand on supplies for new autonomous vehicles. One article was predicting supply issues into early 2022.

Thanks for all those informations i didnt even know about them so i guess u saved me a lot of bucks. So im determined to make an upgrade at my system. Can u tell me which cpu and gpu should i choose? Keep in mind im not using heavy proggrams or games(expect warzone) so all i need is a cpu+gpu that would make my warzone experience better that my current cpu can. Thanks again!

Sure thing!

Alright, just for my information:

• Are you gaming on a 1080p monitor?
  • Is your monitor limited to 60 Hz?
Assuming that that both of the above are true, I would recommend that you upgrade your CPU to a Ryzen 3600/3600X. Because:

• While I would normally recommend a Ryzen 5600x to most people playing COD Warzone, in your case your motherboard isn't compatible.
  • As I alluded to in another post, COD Warzone is decently CPU heavy. I get it, you aren't running a lot of heavy programs, neither am I, and yet I have an 8 core CPU; the reason? Gaming.
  • The Ryzen 3600 has 6 cores and 12 threads and is considered the modern baseline CPU for gaming. It has limitations to be sure, but cheaping out and buying an even older Ryzen 2600 is a bad idea because that CPU has even bigger limitations in clock speed and gaming throughput than the Ryzen 3600. This is basically the cheapest you can safely go to get a solid 1080p 60 fps (from a CPU standpoint at least).
As you probably are already aware, the "g" on your 3200g connotates that your CPU is what AMD calls an APU, a CPU with integrated graphics. While Intel has integrated graphics on most of their CPUs, AMD only ships it on a select few of them. The problem with this is that if you were to upgrade your CPU tomorrow to a Ryzen 3600/3600X, it would have no integrated graphics, so with no GPU you would have no output signal to your monitor. Thus in your case you should upgrade your CPU and GPU at the same time.

So now you know what CPU to upgrade to and want to know what GPU to upgrade to. The good news is that COD Warzone is actually not very demanding from a GPU perspective so normally not a whole lot of money would need to be invested in a good GPU to get decent performance. The bad news is that (as mentioned by others on here) now is a bad time to buy a GPU due to shortages and all kinds of other stuff going on driving up the price. Fortunately, there are decent used GPUs out there that aren't so marked up in price due to shortages that will serve you just fine. I'll list the Nvidia GPUs I would recommend to you (some are available new, some aren't; pricing will depend on your area). I'm not listing AMD GPUs because a) I prefer Nvidia due to better drivers, and b) AMD's inexpensive GPUs (the 570 and 580) are quite power hungry and run hot which makes them not a good fit for your inexpensive 550 watt PSU.

The Inexpensive choice: GTX 1060 6 GB or GTX 1650 Super 4 GB
The GTX 1060 6 GB is 2 generations old, the GTX 1650 Super is 1 generation old (last gen).
  • Both provide a locked 1080p 60 fps Warzone experience with most graphical settings at high
The smart / little bit extra choice: GTX 1070 8 GB or GTX 1660 Super/Ti 6 GB
  • The GTX 1070 is 2 generations old, the GTX 1660 Super/Ti is 1 generation old
  • Expect 1080p 60 fps all the time even with everything set to ultra.
The futureproof / lots extra choice: RTX 2060
  • It's still a last gen GPU, but Nvidia has only recently announced the RTX 3060 and hasn't yet announced anything cheaper than that yet.
  • Not only does the RTX 2060 allow everything at ultra for 1080p 60 fps, its also capable of 1080p 100+ fps or 1440p 60 fps should you upgrade to a superior gaming monitor in the future.
  • RTX allows you to experiment a bit with ray tracing if you want. DLSS allows you to run games that you normally wouldn't have enough power to run without turning down a lot of settings.
To sum up, while you do need both a new CPU and a GPU, you don't need a very powerful GPU to get the job done. At the same time, you don't want to cheap out on the CPU side of things because that'll make it hard for you to run warzone without stuttering and/or low fps.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021
Sure thing!

Alright, just for my information:

• Are you gaming on a 1080p monitor?
  • Is your monitor limited to 60 Hz?
Assuming that that both of the above are true, I would recommend that you upgrade your CPU to a Ryzen 3600/3600X. Because:

• While I would normally recommend a Ryzen 5600x to most people playing COD Warzone, in your case your motherboard isn't compatible.
  • As I alluded to in another post, COD Warzone is decently CPU heavy. I get it, you aren't running a lot of heavy programs, neither am I, and yet I have an 8 core CPU; the reason? Gaming.
  • The Ryzen 3600 has 6 cores and 12 threads and is considered the modern baseline CPU for gaming. It has limitations to be sure, but cheaping out and buying an even older Ryzen 2600 is a bad idea because that CPU has even bigger limitations in clock speed and gaming throughput than the Ryzen 3600. This is basically the cheapest you can safely go to get a solid 1080p 60 fps (from a CPU standpoint at least).
As you probably are already aware, the "g" on your 3200g connotates that your CPU is what AMD calls an APU, a CPU with integrated graphics. While Intel has integrated graphics on most of their CPUs, AMD only ships it on a select few of them. The problem with this is that if you were to upgrade your CPU tomorrow to a Ryzen 3600/3600X, it would have no integrated graphics, so with no GPU you would have no output signal to your monitor. Thus in your case you should upgrade your CPU and GPU at the same time.

So now you know what CPU to upgrade to and want to know what GPU to upgrade to. The good news is that COD Warzone is actually not very demanding from a GPU perspective so normally not a whole lot of money would need to be invested in a good GPU to get decent performance. The bad news is that (as mentioned by others on here) now is a bad time to buy a GPU due to shortages and all kinds of other stuff going on driving up the price. Fortunately, there are decent used GPUs out there that aren't so marked up in price due to shortages that will serve you just fine. I'll list the Nvidia GPUs I would recommend to you (some are available new, some aren't; pricing will depend on your area). I'm not listing AMD GPUs because a) I prefer Nvidia due to better drivers, and b) AMD's inexpensive GPUs (the 570 and 580) are quite power hungry and run hot which makes them not a good fit for your inexpensive 550 watt PSU.

The Inexpensive choice: GTX 1060 6 GB or GTX 1650 Super 4 GB
The GTX 1060 6 GB is 2 generations old, the GTX 1650 Super is 1 generation old (last gen).
  • Both provide a locked 1080p 60 fps Warzone experience with most graphical settings at high
The smart / little bit extra choice: GTX 1070 8 GB or GTX 1660 Super/Ti 6 GB
  • The GTX 1070 is 2 generations old, the GTX 1660 Super/Ti is 1 generation old
  • Expect 1080p 60 fps all the time even with everything set to ultra.
The futureproof / lots extra choice: RTX 2060
  • It's still a last gen GPU, but Nvidia has only recently announced the RTX 3060 and hasn't yet announced anything cheaper than that yet.
  • Not only does the RTX 2060 allow everything at ultra for 1080p 60 fps, its also capable of 1080p 100+ fps or 1440p 60 fps should you upgrade to a superior gaming monitor in the future.
  • RTX allows you to experiment a bit with ray tracing if you want. DLSS allows you to run games that you normally wouldn't have enough power to run without turning down a lot of settings.
To sum up, while you do need both a new CPU and a GPU, you don't need a very powerful GPU to get the job done. At the same time, you don't want to cheap out on the CPU side of things because that'll make it hard for you to run warzone without stuttering and/or low fps.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Dude.. this knowledge you just shared with me and your time to write all this.. thank you so much! so now i can choose cpu+gpu combo because of you! i have 1920x1080p 75hz monitor does it change something in the selection of the gpu?

Dude.. this knowledge you just shared with me and your time to write all this.. thank you so much! so now i can choose cpu+gpu combo because of you! i have 1920x1080p 75hz monitor does it change something in the selection of the gpu?

Not too much...

… the only difference is that now I'm sure you'll be aiming to lock to 75 fps if possible instead of 60 fps, so if you buy a GTX 1060 6 GB or a GTX 1650 Super, you'd probably need a combination of medium/high settings to stay there.

After checking a few benchmarks, it looks like the GTX 1070, GTX 1660 Super/Ti and GTX 2060 will all easily lock to 1080p 75 fps even with settings set to ultra.

Feb 6, 2021
Not too much...

… the only difference is that now I'm sure you'll be aiming to lock to 75 fps if possible instead of 60 fps, so if you buy a GTX 1060 6 GB or a GTX 1650 Super, you'd probably need a combination of medium/high settings to stay there.

After checking a few benchmarks, it looks like the GTX 1070, GTX 1660 Super/Ti and GTX 2060 will all easily lock to 1080p 75 fps even with settings set to ultra.
Im confused because when i try to search those gpu's u named i see a variety of graphic cards with the same name and i dont know which one do you mean i should pick for example i think im into the 1650 super but when i search gtx 1650 super i see many graphic cards with this name can you help me with a link?

Im confused because when i try to search those gpu's u named i see a variety of graphic cards with the same name and i dont know which one do you mean i should pick for example i think im into the 1650 super but when i search gtx 1650 super i see many graphic cards with this name can you help me with a link?

The 1650 Super is sold not directly through Nvidia, Nvidia sells the chips to 'board partners' who then configure them with their own heatsink, shroud, fans, rgb etc. The reason you came up with so many results is because there are many variations out there.

A 1650 super doesn't put out much heat, so cooler design isn't too important. Factory overclocks don't make much difference either.

Hello and thanks for the fast reply! My specs are:
Motherboard: gigabyte A320m-sh2
Cpu: ryzen 3200g
Ram: 2x8 corsair vengeance 3000mhz
Psu: Corsair cx series CX550
Switch out your board and cpu with something such as this ...

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/23292336/Intel-Core-I5-10400F-Box.html

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/23779661/Gigabyte-B460M-DS3H-rev-1-0.html

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/24651940/Gigabyte-B460M-Gaming-HD-rev-1-0.html

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have decided to buy a size 10 shoe. If you Google that, you'll see Nike, Addidas, Dockers, Sperry..... And a whole bunch more.

All size 10.

A gtx1650 is a size 10. Nike, Addidas etc is Gigabyte, MSI, Asus etc and they each have several models to choose from, slip-on, velcro, laced, hiking etc. So you'll have basic editions, OC editions, super OC, maximum OC etc, each getting progressivly more expensive.

Just be careful of pricing. Because of supply and demand being so upset right now, it's entirely possible to see the Maximum OC varieties of the 1650 may be more expensive than a basic 1660.

So shop around, get a good idea of what you are looking for with the card, the looks, colors, rgb, performance, quietness, cooling etc and weigh the pros and cons of different manufacturers.

Gigabyte generally has the highest performance in this class of card, MSI right on its heels, as is Zotac, but MSI and Asus are generally the quietest of the bunch. Evga is my personal choice in nvidia, followed closely by Asus, but I've owned almost every larger brand. But thats a personal bias, others prefer the slightly higher performance of the Zotac and Gigabyte cards and less about noise factor.