RAM: 32GB (2x16) DDR5
Drives: 1TB M.2
1TB HDD
250GB SSD
CPU Cooler: Tower Air Cooler
Fans: 4 x 120mm
Case: ATX
PSU: 650W 80+ Certified Platinum Rating

I am now looking to upgrade my GPU which is the final part that I need. I actually wanted to wait for the prices to become more reasonable, which would hopefully have been when the RTX 3000 SUPER series GPU's launch later this qauter, but since my current GPU is on it's last legs I decided to upgrade. I currently have the option of buying an Asus GeForce RTX 3070 TUF Gaming OC 8GB for $1 155/€1 023/£853, a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 TURBO 10GB for $1 560/€1 382/£1 153 or an MSI Radeon RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16G for $1 622/€1 467/£1 199. There are other slightly cheaper options available like Inno3D and Pilat for Nvidia and XFX and Powercolor for AMD, but the difference is less than $100/€88/£74 and I prefer buying brands I know and trust, who's design, GPU applications and functionality I like and who's products I have bought before. Plus I have also heard many people complain about GPU's running hot for all 4 of those brands, especially for the RTX 3080 and RX 6900 GPU's.

So my question is which one of these three would you recommend given their performance/price ratio or just your personal experience?
Also important to note, I will mostly be using it for 2K gaming, 3D modelling and rendering and some amateur game development (just for fun, since it's something I always wanted to get into). I do however also want a GPU that I will be able to use effectively for at least the next 5 years.

I did some basic calculations and used a few online PSU calculators and they all come in between 560W to 630W needed to run this system, however that is before you take into consideration any overclocking on the CPU and GPU I might want to do, I'm not sure how much that might add. So my follow up question is, whether you think my PSU is strong enough to run a system with those specs and the aforementioned GPU's and if it is not, would a 750W PSU be sufficient?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

If you have the money for the RX 6900 XT go for that one. It's the most 'future proof' with its 16GBs of RAM and is definitely worth the extra $62 over the RTX 3080.
That PSU is a little lower than the wattage that I would get for that build but it may be okay.

Jan 3, 2022
Build experts are going to want to know the exact make and model of this. That above does not tell enough about how good it is.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's a Super Flower - LEADEX PLATINUM 650W PSU. Here's the product page https://www.super-flower.com.tw/product-data.php?productID=107&lang=en . I actually bought it a few years ago after my previous PSU stopped working. It was on special and had really good reviews and certification so I took a chance and it hasn't let me down thus far.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
+1

But even if it's a good brand and model 650w unit, I'd not feel overly happy about pairing it with the specs the OP is proposing to do. I'd want an 850w unit.
It depends on the hardware. Some members here get by just fine - one of the easier instances recalled is sizzling with a Seasonic Focus(?) 650w and a 3080 + 3700X. They don't OC either, if I recall correctly.
I do get where you're coming from though.

@Barend Viljoen
Yes, that should be a pretty good unit. The 6900XT probably is off the table though; likely not big enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Chesterfield
Dec 11, 2021
So I've recently upgraded my PC and my current specs are as follows:

CPU: i5 12600KF
Motherboard: MSI Z690 Force
1TB HDD
250GB SSD

I am now looking to upgrade my GPU which is the final part that I need. I actually wanted to wait for the prices to become more reasonable, which would hopefully have been when the RTX 3000 SUPER series GPU's launch later this qauter, but since my current GPU is on it's last legs I decided to upgrade. I currently have the option of buying an Asus GeForce RTX 3070 TUF Gaming OC 8GB for $1 155/€1 023/£853, a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 TURBO 10GB for $1 560/€1 382/£1 153 or an MSI Radeon RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16G for $1 622/€1 467/£1 199. There are other slightly cheaper options available like Inno3D and Pilat for Nvidia and XFX and Powercolor for AMD, but the difference is less than $100/€88/£74 and I prefer buying brands I know and trust, who's design, GPU applications and functionality I like and who's products I have bought before. Plus I have also heard many people complain about GPU's running hot for all 4 of those brands, especially for the RTX 3080 and RX 6900 GPU's.

So my question is which one of these three would you recommend given their performance/price ratio or just your personal experience?
Also important to note, I will mostly be using it for 2K gaming, 3D modelling and rendering and some amateur game development (just for fun, since it's something I always wanted to get into). I do however also want a GPU that I will be able to use effectively for at least the next 5 years.

I did some basic calculations and used a few online PSU calculators and they all come in between 560W to 630W needed to run this system, however that is before you take into consideration any overclocking on the CPU and GPU I might want to do, I'm not sure how much that might add. So my follow up question is, whether you think my PSU is strong enough to run a system with those specs and the aforementioned GPU's and if it is not, would a 750W PSU be sufficient?

The 650watt psu is a NoNo, since you've decided to go with top of the line GPUs my recommendation is just go with a 1000watt unit because the 30 series GPUs when overclocked will happily draw upwards of 450watts!!

Thanks for pointing that out. It's a Super Flower - LEADEX PLATINUM 650W PSU. Here's the product page https://www.super-flower.com.tw/product-data.php?productID=107&lang=en . I actually bought it a few years ago after my previous PSU stopped working. It was on special and had really good reviews and certification so I took a chance and it hasn't let me down thus far.

Actually a great unit, but my point still stands. Look at this way, with the way the second hand market is right now, the knowledgeable will pay a decent price for that power supply and that'd offset a bit of cost for a more powerful unit.

Jan 3, 2022
Okay so the basic consensus is that I need to get a more powerful PSU, I suspected as much. I'll start looking around for a few specials for PSU's with good ratings and certification then.

Jan 2, 2022
So I've recently upgraded my PC and my current specs are as follows:

CPU: i5 12600KF
Motherboard: MSI Z690 Force
1TB HDD
250GB SSD

Considering you have a 650 watt PSU right now, you definately need to get a better one. For a 3080 which has the highest TDP rating among the three you listed, an 850 watt Gold plus or platinum will be a sweet spot, only thing is make sure to get a PSU from a good Brand, Seasonic, Corsair, Asus ROG are good ones.

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Jan 3, 2022
Okay, so I think I'm going to go for the RX 6900 XT GPU and a 850W PSU. For the PSU'S however there aren't that many to choose from, my current options are the ANTEC HCG-850 80 Plus Gold for $140, the EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GT, 80 Plus Gold for $190 and the Corsair RM850x 850W 80 Plus Gold (2018 Edition) for $245. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but the RM850x says that it's the 2018 edition and there was a new 2021 edition but that is currently sold out and the only noticeable difference that I could find was that the 2021 version has a better fan.

I am a complete stranger when it comes to the intricacies of PSU's, so I was wondering since all of them are 850W, Gold Plus, received good reviews and have a 10 year warranty (Apart from EVGA's 7) is there any reason not to take the cheaper option?
Also my PC is well ventilated, I regularly clean it, it's on top of my desk not underneath and I've never had any issues with overheating, so the difference with the fans really doesn't matter that much to me.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like all 3 of those units are viable(Tier A).
Well, there's a note next to the HCG units referring to production units made before 2018 having power transient issues, but that's at least 4 years ago.
Surely you wouldn't draw the short stick and end up with a pre-2018 unit..?

Jan 3, 2022
Looks like all 3 of those units are viable(Tier A).
Well, there's a note next to the HCG units referring to production units made before 2018 having power transient issues, but that's at least 4 years ago.
Surely you wouldn't draw the short stick and end up with a pre-2018 unit..?

They generally seem to list older models, like the RM850x 2018 and 2021 versions. But I'll just contact them and confirm.