[SOLVED] Which GPU should I get for my build?

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/BrandonFitzpatricc/saved/MTVDxr

This is a completed build that I currently have. I’ve been saving up for a GPU, so I’m currently using a GTX 960 that my friend lent me. I’m planning to play games in 1440p (as you can probably guess from my monitor), and pretty much every GPU is in my price range except for the 2080 ti and the 11GB 1080 ti.

My main goal is to optimize this PC for doom eternal once it releases in November, and get the best possible performance for that particular game. For this reason, I feel like I might be better off getting an nvidia GPU. The game is confirmed to support ray tracing, so I feel like it’ll be more optimized towards nvidia in comparison to AMD. Plus I really like the gaming x trio model, which is available for the 2070 super, 2080, and 2080 super. I know that price to performance isn’t as good, but I care more about performance than price. I’m also trying to stick with an MSI card due to personal preference since it would match my motherboard, and it practically guarantees that I won’t run into any issues overclocking it with MSI afterburner. Since I have a really cool system, I’m probably gonna try to overclock whichever card I buy as high as I can.

I’d also like to use this card for as long as I can manage. Besides storage, I’m trying to avoid upgrading this system for as long as I can. I’m expecting my CPU and motherboard to last at least 5 years, but I know that GPU’s become outdated quickly, so I’m not expecting whichever GPU I buy to last as long. For that reason, I’m not sure if I should invest an excessive amount of money in a GPU that I’ll most likely have to upgrade within 2-4 years. But at the same time, doom eternal is my top priority, and probably the biggest reason I built this PC in the first place. I’m also not sure if I should wait until November to see if anything new happens, for example AMD potentially releasing their “nvidia killer” card, as they described it. I feel like not much is gonna happen in 2-3 months though.

Considering my circumstances, which card do you guys think would be my best option?

Solution
Your psu will support any graphics card you might want.
For a balanced gamer, budget about 2x the cost of your processor for the graphics card.
By that metric, something like a RTX2070 super or RTX2080 would be appropriate.
If budget permits, buy the strongest card you feel you can afford.
Anything less, and you may forever second guess yourself.

A different option would be to buy a EVGA card at the lower end of capability like a RTX2070 super.
You will have 90 days to trade it in to a higher performing card if you want to.
Read the mice type on the EVGA web site.

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
I'd consider a better AIO, GPU wise RTX 2070 SUPER should do I'd say RX 5700 XT but you don't want AMD 2080 SUPER if you wanna use ray tracing probably.
I’m not sure why there’s so much criticism towards the ML240L. It keeps my CPU under 60°, even when it’s overclocked, and my friend has a similar AIO (basically the same but with no RGB), and he has been using it for over 2 years. I honestly think that it should cost more for what you’re getting. As for the GPU, I was thinking the same thing. I really like what AMD is doing and I might go with them for my next GPU, but I feel like Nvidia is my best option for now.

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
How about getting the RTX 2080 ti In terms of performance and unmatched for now. and that will make future proof run games at 4k fluently and has more tensor cores to run the Ray tracing bit good performance but price yep expensive but money is not an issue then go :D
Honestly, I wish I could. But I feel like it would be an irresponsible purchase. I’m only 16 years old, and I personally don’t think any 16 year old should spend that much money on a single purchase

I’m not sure why there’s so much criticism towards the ML240L. It keeps my CPU under 60°, even when it’s overclocked, and my friend has a similar AIO (basically the same but with no RGB), and he has been using it for over 2 years. I honestly think that it should cost more for what you’re getting. As for the GPU, I was thinking the same thing. I really like what AMD is doing and I might go with them for my next GPU, but I feel like Nvidia is my best option for now.
Many report early deaths of the AIO which is why not many like to recommend it it's sort of a gamble if it'll die prematurely or not.

Reactions: BrandonFitzpatricc

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
Many report early deaths of the AIO which is why not many like to recommend it it's sort of a gamble if it'll die prematurely or not.
Yeah, I get what you’re saying. I’ve done my research on that and it seems to be more common with the ML240R, which is ironic considering that it’s the more expensive model. I’ve checked reviews of the ML240L on both Newegg and Amazon and the only complaint that I really see is that the stock fans make lot of noise, which I swapped out

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
It's just hard for me to recommend much from the company when apparently their customer support is also horrid (according to posts I believe)
I get that. I’ve never used their customer support so I can’t really say much about that, but in terms of products, I’m definitely impressed so far. The cooler master h500 case has also been serving me really well

Your psu will support any graphics card you might want.
For a balanced gamer, budget about 2x the cost of your processor for the graphics card.
By that metric, something like a RTX2070 super or RTX2080 would be appropriate.
If budget permits, buy the strongest card you feel you can afford.
Anything less, and you may forever second guess yourself.

A different option would be to buy a EVGA card at the lower end of capability like a RTX2070 super.
You will have 90 days to trade it in to a higher performing card if you want to.
Read the mice type on the EVGA web site.

Reactions: BrandonFitzpatricc
Solution