Which gpu should I get for my gaming setup?

supatacokid

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
I have a gtx 1060 3gb and want to upgrade (don't want 40 fps in low settings on assassins creed odyssey) I heard 1070 ti can run high/ultra on 70 fps but what about 1080 what is worth my money more 1070 ti or 1080? P.S my psu only has 6 + 2 pin connector but their are some 1080's with 6 pin

Solution
The card you have is the best FPS Budget/performance GPU you can buy today. I have the same. You can get a GTX 1070ti or a 1080 and yeah you’ll get 30% for FPS but I don’t think you can go wrong with a 1070ti or 1080, it’s ultimately up to you.
Oct 4, 2018
The card you have is the best FPS Budget/performance GPU you can buy today. I have the same. You can get a GTX 1070ti or a 1080 and yeah you’ll get 30% for FPS but I don’t think you can go wrong with a 1070ti or 1080, it’s ultimately up to you.

Solution
From what I've heard, AC: Odyssey tends to be a bit more CPU-limited than graphics card limited, possibly due in part to the DRM it uses. As WildCard said, if your CPU is what's limiting performance, then you might not get much higher frame rates from a graphics card upgrade.

Just checking on Youtube just now, I found a couple videos of people running the game on a GTX 1060, and they managed to get similar frame rates to what you describe, only at high settings, using recent mid-range CPUs like an i5-8400 or an i5-6600K. At low settings, they were pushing frame rates well above 60fps most of the time.

Another thing perhaps worth mentioning, Hardware Unboxed posted an optimization guide for this game, which shows that the graphics presets are not particularly balanced, and you might be able to significantly improve visuals without impacting performance too much by manually adjusting certain settings. Some options, like volumetric clouds, do very little for improving visuals, but absolutely tank performance at the higher settings, while other settings can be cranked up without having a perceptible impact on performance. They did test on high-end equipment though, so it's likely that you might not be able to turn some settings like textures up quite as high on your 3GB of VRAM...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chqQanHcvHk

Also, they didn't seem to be CPU-limited, but that's likely because they were running an overclocked i7-8700K. From the sound of it, this game is not very well optimized, and very few people are able to maintain 60fps with decent settings.