Which gpu should I get? help

Imz Deodex

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
Please help. I want to upgrade my GPU but I don't know which one. Here is my special case, currently we are having power outages in our city and My PC has an uninterrupted power supply unit for protection in case the power goes out. Now, my specs are an i7 3770k, 8gb Kingston fury x, MSI Z77MAG45, and a 1tb hdd running on a thermal take 600watts psu this is the one: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001858

there are 4 gpu candidates depending on which.

the 960 [ASUS] vs the 380 and the 970 [ASUS SINGLE 8 PIN] vs the 390

which of them are compatible with my PSU? which of them are compatible with my UPS in case the power goes out and gives me ample time to properly shut down under FULL LOAD?

Assuming the power outages stop and the UPS won't be a problem anymore, will my PSU work? thanks

NOTES: THE UPS CAN SUPPORT UP TO 320 WATTS? it says here 650va?

Solution
Using this Power Supply Calculator, I've computed for both graphics cards:

Your set up with the Radeon R9-390
Load Wattage: 643 W
Recommended UPS rating: 1200 VA
Recommended PSU Wattage: 693 W

Your setup with a Geforce GTX 970
Load Wattage: 556 W
Recommended UPS rating: 1100 VA
Recommended PSU Wattage: 606 W

It sounds like the guy over at Steam is comparing the PCI-E power connectors for each card and assuming they'll draw the same power. In fact, the PCI-Ex16 slot will provide a graphics card UP TO 75 watts of power. If I remember correctly, the 6-Pin PCI-E power cable will also provide UP TO 75 watts of power. The 8-Pin power connector can provide up to 150 watts of power.

That doesn't mean the card...

Imz Deodex

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

yep this is indeed a problem ._. also this guy over steam argues that the 970 and 390 has the same "power consumption" is this true? I tried to argue that Maxwell is more efficient but he went calculating the 12v rails and 6 pin with 75 watts each wtf?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Using this Power Supply Calculator, I've computed for both graphics cards:

Your set up with the Radeon R9-390
Load Wattage: 643 W
Recommended UPS rating: 1200 VA
Recommended PSU Wattage: 693 W

Your setup with a Geforce GTX 970
Load Wattage: 556 W
Recommended UPS rating: 1100 VA
Recommended PSU Wattage: 606 W

It sounds like the guy over at Steam is comparing the PCI-E power connectors for each card and assuming they'll draw the same power. In fact, the PCI-Ex16 slot will provide a graphics card UP TO 75 watts of power. If I remember correctly, the 6-Pin PCI-E power cable will also provide UP TO 75 watts of power. The 8-Pin power connector can provide up to 150 watts of power.

That doesn't mean the card will actually use that much power, only that it needs to have it available.

If a card requires less than 75 watts, it will not need an external power port.
If a card requires more than 75 watts but less than 150 watts, it will have 1 6-Pin PCI-E power port.
If a card requires more than 150 watts, but less than 225 watts, it will have 1 8-Pin PCI-E power port.
If a card requires more than 225 watts, but less than 300 watts, it will have 1 6-Pin PCI-E power port and 1 8-Pin PCI-E power port.
If a card requires more than 300 watts, it will have 2 8-Pin PCI-E power ports.

Again, if I remember correctly

-Wolf sends

Solution