Question Which GPU should I get?

juaanmolero

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
I just built a new computer with a Ryzen 5 7600x that I'm planning to upgrade to a 7800x3d or 8800x3d in a couple of years, but right now I need a GPU, I was thinking about getting a 7900 xtx because the 999$ price seemed perfect, but after seeing thermals I'm afraid of the reference cards cooling solutions, the memory is usually really high it seems, and I'm also worried about stutters and problems because of the new architecture.

Should I buy a 7900 xtx reference or do you know about any AIB cards with good cooling solutions?

I see that the power draw on aibs go up a lot so keep in my mind that I have an RM850w Corsair PSU.

My other option would be to get a 4080. The cheapest I could find was a MSI Ventus for 1280$.

7900 xtx AIB models are going for 1100$ here.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would get an AIB model like the Sapphire Nitro+ Vapour-X or a Powercolor Red Devil as they have chunky enough heatsinks on them to keep the cores and memory cool. There can be other reasons to avoid the Reference cards now

If a Red Devil XTX had been in the shop when I got mine, it would have been tempting... as it stands I was too late and just got the XT version. I might actually get the card in the next few days.

I see that the power draw on aibs go up a lot so keep in my mind that I have an RM850w Corsair PSU.

well, so much for Red Devil & Nitro then, I have forgotten it was the XTX versions, they both over 850. Asus haven't released any of their non reference cards and it appears they won't until next year. MSI haven't said a word.

Here are the non reference models that can run on an 850

https://www.xfxforce.com/shop/xfx-speedster-merc-310-7900xtx-black-edition#2 needs 850w
Has good cooling, is basically a brick

Both Gigabyte non reference XTX only need 850
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-R79XTXAORUS-E-24GD#kf
No reviews for either yet. Most reviewers just got the reference cards it seems.

I made a list of all the cards released so far - link

If you can get this to load it has most of the models in it now - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/pc-builder/psu-finder/case

It checked my 3600xt system against a Red Devil RX 7900 XT and suggested a 750 but well, I had already decided to get a RM1000x so I guess I have too much. Trying to give self wiggle room. GPU makers suggest 850 for that card anyway.

Last edited:

juaanmolero

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
I ended up putting a MSI Ventus 3x OC 4080 on hold, so I should be picking it up today. Minimum requirement for the card is 750w so I guess I should be fine but, I'm scared of transient spike. Should I skip on the OC and wait to find a stock one?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I ended up putting a MSI Ventus 3x OC 4080 on hold, so I should be picking it up today. Minimum requirement for the card is 750w so I guess I should be fine but, I'm scared of transient spike. Should I skip on the OC and wait to find a stock one?

Transient spikes are not as bad with the 4080 than it was this the 3000er series. 750Watt PSU is absolutely fine for a 4080 as long as the PSU is not junk. The RMx series PSUs are great quality and you are totally good to go with your 850watts.....I have the same PSU powering my 4080....

The actual power draw of my 4080 is between 230watts and 315 watts without manual overclocking (depending on game). I can get it up to 350 watts if I overclock the card (and increase the power limit).

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
I just built a new computer with a Ryzen 5 7600x that I'm planning to upgrade to a 7800x3d or 8800x3d in a couple of years, but right now I need a GPU, I was thinking about getting a 7900 xtx because the 999$ price seemed perfect, but after seeing thermals I'm afraid of the reference cards cooling solutions, the memory is usually really high it seems, and I'm also worried about stutters and problems because of the new architecture.

Should I buy a 7900 xtx reference or do you know about any AIB cards with good cooling solutions?

My other option would be to get a 4080. The cheapest I could find was a MSI Ventus for 1280$.

7900 xtx AIB models are going for 1100$ here.

I would suggest if you are dead set on these options the 7900XTX is the better deal, but realistically they are both overpriced. If you can find a 6800XT or 3080 for <$700 that would be a much better deal.