Question Which GPU should I go for?

Gee_Simpson

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2015
Hi, I have nearly all the parts for my new build, I'm happy with everything I have chosen except I'm not sure about the GPU.

I only have a 1080p 60hz monitor and do most of my gaming on my PS4 Pro. I don't plan on upgrading my monitor any time soon. I only play Football Manager on the PC really, I may get into light gaming on the PC now that I'm buying a decent GPU but not sure which one to pick.

I currently have a 4GB Nitro+ RX 580 on the way for £148 with 2 free games (The Division 2 and World War Z). This is very appealing to me because of the free games really. I can send it back and go for the 8GB version Pulse for £175 or the Nitro+ for £188.99. These all come with the same 2 free games.

Then there is the EVGA XC GeForce 1660 6GB for £199.99 with a Fortnite bundle which I don't play.

Any advice?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Free games is always nice!
With your current monitor, ANY of these cards would work. The 8gb models will allow you to run games at higher graphics settings. 4gb vram is plenty for just 1080p, 60.
But, as time goes on, newer games will use more resources, and while you won't need it now, the 8gb model would have a longer upgrade path; you won't need to replace it as soon as the 4gb one.

My opinion: the 8gb model that looks the 'nicest', then price.
On another note, while you may not care for the 1660's game bundle, it IS the strongest card among the options you've provided. And if you're an 'energy saver', it also uses less power than the RX 580.
So, to correct my opinion: pick the nicest looking 580 8gb and compare that to the 1660. I'd go with the 1660. Reason: my priority is performance - get the strongest card you can afford, as that extra 'oomph' will last you longer before the next upgrade, and save you more money... but over a much longer period of time.

Gee_Simpson

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2015
Thanks. I'm swaying towards the 1660 atm.

My whole outlook is to future proof as much as I can, but obviously I'm not a heavy PC gamer so anything more than the cards I've mentioned is overkill, especially considering my current monitor too.

Reactions: Phaaze88