Which GPU should I update to?

Feb 6, 2019
So I've had this computer for around 5 years now and I feel like it is time to look to update my GPU and maybe something else as well

Current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz\
MOBO: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821) (SOCKET 0)
Graphics: BenQ XL2720Z (1920x1080@144Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (MSI)

I was thinking of the NVIDIA GTX 1060, and maybe I need some more RAM? Which upgrades do you suggest?

Thank you in advance!

I think your CPU would work well with a GTX 1060 and even a GTX 1070.
I would consider going to 16 GB RAM.....but I think most importantly....being you didn't mention your PSU.....is that you run your new card with a good quality PSU.....like a Seasonic or the higher end Corsair models.

Feb 6, 2019
Thank you for the answer! I heard it is possible to add just 8GM of RAM instead of buying a whole new 16GB RAM but they have to be the same right? Is it possible to easily find out which RAM I actually have in my system, or is it easier to just buy 16GB ram. Furthermore, is it possible to find out my current PSU? Or shall I just invest in a new higher end one? Thank you!

Feb 6, 2019

Thank you for the answer! I heard it is possible to add just 8GM of RAM instead of buying a whole new 16GB RAM but they have to be the same right? Is it possible to easily find out which RAM I actually have in my system, or is it easier to just buy 16GB ram. Furthermore, is it possible to find out my current PSU? Or shall I just invest in a new higher end one? Thank you!

i'd say RTX 2060, if possible, to me it seems like a perfect 1080p card and will pair perfectly well with your cpu. more ram is advisable as well, 16gb is the sweet spot.

1060 i would not advise, it will be a bit lackluster, at least 1070 imo.

Feb 6, 2019
Thank you for the recommendation! Btw, I have a Cooler Master RS-700-ACAB-D3 ATX 12V V2.13 700W Power supply. I do not know which information is actually important but is that good enough for these cards?

Thanks

Feb 6, 2019
Furthermore, I have 2 Ballistix Sport VLP 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1.35V RAM sticks in my PC, I have 8GB so I assume they are both 4GB. Can I buy an 8GB with it or do I need to buy 2 4GB ones?

" I heard it is possible to add just 8GM of RAM instead of buying a whole new 16GB RAM but they have to be the same right? Is it possible to easily find out which RAM I actually have in my system, or is it easier to just buy 16GB ram. Furthermore, is it possible to find out my current PSU? Or shall I just invest in a new higher end one? Thank you! "

Yes it's possible to add just 8. It should at least meet the specs of the MB It would be better I think if it met the specs of the RAM you have.....and it would be best if it was identical to the RAM you have....but I think that might be a stretch obtaining that.

To find out what RAM you have....look on the RAM itself....it is usually labeled.

As far as the PSU....I think the wattage is good enough....however I have heard there are good and bad Coolermaster models.....I would google your model and see what people are saying.

"Furthermore, I have 2 Ballistix Sport VLP 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1.35V RAM sticks in my PC, I have 8GB so I assume they are both 4GB. Can I buy an 8GB with it or do I need to buy 2 4GB ones? "

I think it would be great if you could get two more 4 gigs the same as as what you have....but if not....you can probably go with an 8 gig....but I would look at the MB doc to see what they say about that.