[SOLVED] Which GPU temp is important?

conurafx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Hey all,

I have an RTX 2080ti and I don't plan to upgrade for another generation most likely as its still great for 3440 ultrawide gaming. I'd like to make sure I'm looking after it, and there's three temps I can see:
GPU: 71oC
MEMORY: 81oC
HOTSPOT: 87oC

This is running modern games at 144hz ultra settings generally. Which of the temps should I concern myself with? I have heard people say to keep the GPU below 90oC for longevity, but my hot spot is very close to that. Should I consider frame capping, or do the limits actually apply to the GPU temp?

Thanks for the advice!

Solution
You feel sick. Ear-mometer says 101°, under-tongue-mometer says 102°, basal thermometer says 100°, but your girlfriend says "your hands feel like ice!", doesn't mean you aren't sick. EVERY temp is important, doesn't matter which one. All are there for a reason, even if you aren't sure exactly what they mean. It applies to every component, cpu, gpu, motherboard, chipset etc.

Figure most things have a maximum safe range of approximately 70°C to 100°C but understand that some things like drives have ranges much lower. You'd not want an HDD/SSD to hit 70°-100°, 50° is closing in on working limits.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You feel sick. Ear-mometer says 101°, under-tongue-mometer says 102°, basal thermometer says 100°, but your girlfriend says "your hands feel like ice!", doesn't mean you aren't sick. EVERY temp is important, doesn't matter which one. All are there for a reason, even if you aren't sure exactly what they mean. It applies to every component, cpu, gpu, motherboard, chipset etc.

Figure most things have a maximum safe range of approximately 70°C to 100°C but understand that some things like drives have ranges much lower. You'd not want an HDD/SSD to hit 70°-100°, 50° is closing in on working limits.

Solution

conurafx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Thanks very much both - the analogies helped my understanding a lot too. Looks like I have nothing to be concerned about so I won't cap my FPS, but will periodically check to make sure temps arent up.

Thank you again.

TRENDING THREADS