Question Which gpu to buy

Jun 10, 2019
I have an h61 chipset motherboard, and an i5-3470 and I am planning to buy a gpu, but I am confused with tow specific graphics cards. A new GT 1030 or an old 750ti. I am not sure whether buying a used gpu is safe. As I have to order it from AliExpress, as there are not available in my country. And I am not even sure how well will the used 750ti will even work,as I won't get any kind of warranty. But if I buy a new GT 1030 I have 5 years of warranty. I know that performance wise 750ti is better than the 1030. So it's very confusing for me at the moment. It would be very helpful if someone will help me to choose the right gpu for my desktop. Thanks
Aech

What's your BUDGET for the GPU ? Do not buy used cards. There is always some RISK factor involved.

The GT 1030 is just an entry-level GPU, not meant for heavy gaming loads. Any GTX----Model is better/faster than a >>>>>> GT-----Model. Are you looking for a Gaming GPU ?

The GT 1030 card seems ideal for e-sports gaming, HTPC enthusiasts , or replacing integrated graphics in home theater PCs or productivity machines, especially given its multi-monitor support. As it's not a GTX card, it lacks support for premium GeForce features like G-Sync, Ansel, and GameStream, though it does play nice with the GeForce Experience app.

Like I have mentioned before, the GT 1030 is just an entry-level GPU, not meant for heavy gaming loads. Any GTX----Model is better/faster than a >>>>>> GT-----Model. Are you looking for a Gaming GPU ?

Though, the GT 1030 card seems ideal for e-sports gaming, HTPC enthusiasts , or replacing integrated graphics in home theater PCs or productivity machines, especially given its multi-monitor support. As it's not a GTX card, it lacks support for premium GeForce features like G-Sync, Ansel, and GameStream, though it does play nice with the GeForce Experience app.

Okay. How about getting the AMD RX 550 GPU instead, the 2GB variant ? Will you game on 1080p ?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Given the relative prices of the 550 and 560, I wouldn't advise them - only the cut down versions tend to be cheaper, in general.

In this list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=395,392&sort=price

Note the first item, an RX 560 (the "better" 1024 variant) at $89.99, it performs on par with the GTX 1050, and thus, better than either the 750Ti or the 1030.

But the second item, an RX 570, admittedly $30 more, performs notably better. If you can hold off until you have that amount, it would be well worth getting the RX 570.

And, at least as of today, the 3rd one on the list is only $5 more than the second, and comes with 8GB instead of 4GB.

I really think that in terms of best bang for buck, wait until you can get an RX 570.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Jun 10, 2019
I live in India, where used market is very limited so I thought to buy an 750 ti. But I mainly want to play CSGO not much more of any game. So I really think a new 1030 would be ok for me.

And also I have another question. Would GT 1030 pair nicely with my i5-3570, I mean will it sync nicely. Will this pair would be good?

Jun 10, 2019
I kinda want to ask that if save a little bit of money and wait for a GTX 1050 ti which is a little bit less than 200$, is it worth.I mean will it work with my 300w psu and, will it need external power from a 6 pin connector or it will be just fine with the power from PCIe 2.0x16 lane.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It depends on the brand and model of the power supply. Some high quality 300W PSUs will handle it just fine. A low quality one will not.

Is this the 1050Ti you're looking at?
https://in.pcpartpicker.com/product...0-4gb-gaming-4g-video-card-gv-rx570gaming-4gd

If so, judging by this page: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N105TD5-4GD#sp (edit: fixed link) it seems like it does NOT have a 6-pin PCIe connector on it, so you should be good to power it directly off the PCIe slot of the motherboard.

However, for only SLIGHTLY more money, there is this:
https://in.pcpartpicker.com/product...0-4gb-gaming-4g-video-card-gv-rx570gaming-4gd

BUT: that WILL need a better power supply. However, for the same price, it is a much more capable card.

I would suggest that, if your PSU brand and model reveals that it's a high quality unit, go with the 1050Ti. If we determine it's a low-quality unit, and you need to replace your motherboard, then the RX 570 would be the way to go. Unfortunately, at that point, you will have to then budget for a good power supply as well.

Last edited: