[SOLVED] which gpu to replace my gtx 480

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys,

i want to replace my gtx 480 as it is outdated, i was thinking about using my integrated gpu from my 11-500 but want to use a dedicated gpu to be on the safe side.

can anyone recommend me one please?

many thanks

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
hi guys,

i want to replace my gtx 480 as it is outdated, i was thinking about using my integrated gpu from my 11-500 but want to use a dedicated gpu to be on the safe side.

can anyone recommend me one please?

many thanks
From your other post yes a 1050 would be a good choice.

I would not listen to the guy that said buy a 710.

May 17, 2021
Um actually in my opnion you should buy one which does not bottleneck with your system, if your CPU is a little bit old or not like powerful enough, then you have no other choice but buy a LOW end GPU, else it would bottleneck the CPU and thatll result in a complete waste of your money.
You may check any bottleneck calculating website on the internet , just select your CPU and then your desired GPU and if it results in a bottleneck, try out other options until you find the perfect one...

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Um actually in my opnion you should buy one which does not bottleneck with your system, if your CPU is a little bit old or not like powerful enough, then you have no other choice but buy a LOW end GPU, else it would bottleneck the CPU and thatll result in a complete waste of your money.
You may check any bottleneck calculating website on the internet , just select your CPU and then your desired GPU and if it results in a bottleneck, try out other options until you find the perfect one...
ok thnak you

i will look for a bootleneck website now

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Bottleneck websites are pure garbage!

If you go by then your going to end up spending in todays market about 800 bucks at the least.

The 1050 is about 40% better than your old 480 that you have already stated does everything you need it to do.
thank you

i havent installed the new cpu as i havent bought it yet, all i have got is new mobo and rams.

just trying to look after my system the best i can so thought, instead of using igpu, better to use dedicated one.

i was going to use 480 with the 11500 cpu but that gpu is really outdated and uses quite abit of power.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Solution

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
That is the 1050 ti and yes much better than your 480 and only uses about 75 watts.

This is not the best site but gives you something to look at.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-480-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3157vs3649
i have read that this gpu can be powered up by the slot but i have seen some close up pictures of the gpu and it has a 6 pin socket for power. do i still need to plug the 6 pin plug or can i still use it just by putting the gpu in the slot?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Prices are quite crazy, not likely to come down.

If you see a 1050 Ti made by a reputable brand for under 150, you should jump on it.

I was looking at the 1050Ti UK Ebay results yesterday, they do pop up from time to time. Even saw an ASUS Cerberus model go recently for under 200, which was a very fancy one (still no idea why they made that..., cheapest 1060 was better)

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Prices are quite crazy, not likely to come down.

If you see a 1050 Ti made by a reputable brand for under 150, you should jump on it.

I was looking at the 1050Ti UK Ebay results yesterday, they do pop up from time to time. Even saw an ASUS Cerberus model go recently for under 200, which was a very fancy one (still no idea why they made that..., cheapest 1060 was better)
thnak you

will keep looking.

the end part of your post, you mentioned that 1060 is better. would it be better getting the 1060 instead?