Question Which GPU would best suit this rig?

Elfreda

Commendable
May 8, 2020
Hi,

Posting this on behalf of my friends father. He is borrowing my 8 year old AMD R9 200 sapphire GPU, which struggles to load textures even on Low settings. With his current system in mind what GPU would best suit him?

Purchase: ASAP
Usage: General emails/web browsing and the few days a month flying planes (he is in 50s) so doesn't care about going over 60fps, has a 1080p60 JVC TV, partially blind in one eye so don't wanna be going all out with a 3080 and I'm no expert but due to the rare usage and eye trouble it's overkill for a high-end flagship.
Budget: £400 max £500

Ideally he doesn't wanna upgrade too much. Current system Speccy overview picture. Not sure why memory is showing 1599MHz in BIOS it's DDR4-3200MHz set, weird. Will look into that!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Gen3 6 Core AM4 CPU/Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS AMD Ryzen ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II AM4 PCIe 3.0 ATX Motherboard Aura Sync RGB
Memory/RAM: (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB 3200MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Kit
Power: Corsair 800W Bronze
Not fussed if NVIDIA or AMD.
Retailers: Scan, AWDIT, eBuyer, Overclockers, Novatech etc (I tend to avoid buying components from Amazon other than SSDs/HDDs etc)

I was thinking maybe a 2000 series / Ti or something? But seems these are a struggle to get as well.. with most like eBuyer etc not even selling them anymore and some are £975?! I paid less for my 3070Ti.

Thanks.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Hi,

Posting this on behalf of my friends father. He is borrowing my 8 year old AMD R9 200 sapphire GPU, which struggles to load textures even on Low settings. With his current system in mind what GPU would best suit him?

Usage: General emails/web browsing and the few days a month flying planes (he is in 50s) so doesn't care about going over 60fps, has a 1080p60 JVC TV, partially blind in one eye so don't wanna be going all out with a 3080 and I'm no expert but due to the rare usage and eye trouble it's overkill for a high-end flagship.

Think best gpu's in that price bracket,

The 6600 XT is the better option.

Including the RX 6600 some more options,

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...446,425,447,499,497,444,511,509,501&X=0,49565

Ideally he doesn't wanna upgrade too much. Current system Speccy overview picture. Not sure why memory is showing 1599MHz in BIOS it's DDR4-3200MHz set, weird.
The ram is DDR = Double Data rate, this means that you need to multiply the 1599mhz times 2 to get effective speed which ends up being 3200mhz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elfreda and dotas1
Hi,

Ideally he doesn't wanna upgrade too much. Current system Speccy overview picture. Not sure why memory is showing 1599MHz in BIOS it's DDR4-3200MHz set, weird. Will look into that!

Motherboard: ASUS AMD Ryzen ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II AM4 PCIe 3.0 ATX Motherboard Aura Sync RGB
Memory/RAM: (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB 3200MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Kit
Retailers: Scan, AWDIT, eBuyer, Overclockers, Novatech etc (I tend to avoid buying components from Amazon other than SSDs/HDDs etc)

I was thinking maybe a 2000 series / Ti or something? But seems these are a struggle to get as well.. with most like eBuyer etc not even selling them anymore and some are £975?! I paid less for my 3070Ti.

Thanks.
Can you stretch to £529?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zota...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-12f-zt.html

Hi,

Thanks.
What are the reqs for this flying planes app?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
MS Flight Simulator actually requires a pretty beefy card for the gpu. While minimum requirements aren't much to make the game playable, gtx770 2G / Rx570 or better, that's pretty miserable and makes you feel like you are flying around in Minecraft. The maps and topography are quite intensive, especially around major cities and airports like London, Sydney or New York where there's a massive amount of 3d objects, not 2d hills.

There's a marked difference between playable and enjoyable. It's the difference between seeing a flock of birds flying under you, or a bunch of white dots in V formation.

I'd be looking at a minimum of gtx1660ti/super, rtx2060, 5700xt or 6600xt

Reactions: Nighthawk117
Feb 21, 2022
I currently have the RX 6600 and it does great with flight simulator would definitely recommend this card. I bought it on Best Buy for $475usd it is the MSI Armour AMD RX 6600 8G. Not sure how much that converts to your currency

If your going for the cheapest option I would go for the RX 6600 like @Claydough_96 suggests or the 2060.
They both fit into your budget range:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi...-ray-tracing-graphics-card-rdna2-1792-streams

The 6600 XT and 3060 are worthy considerations if you can spend a bit more. I would avoid cheaper single fan versions of these cards.
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gig...-gddr6-ray-tracing-graphics-card-3584-core-13

Nvidia is better if you want to make use of DLSS and Ray Tracing. Flight Simulator will get DLSS support this year I believe but I wouldn't have thought it would be essential at 1080p.

Elfreda

Commendable
May 8, 2020
Sorry for the late responses! Family life.

Seems it's now only £449.99. He can reach that.

The 3060 will fit in the case as it's a full tower and the HDD cage is fully removed.

MS Flight Simulator actually requires a pretty beefy card for the gpu. While minimum requirements aren't much to make the game playable, gtx770 2G / Rx570 or better, that's pretty miserable and makes you feel like you are flying around in Minecraft. The maps and topography are quite intensive, especially around major cities and airports like London, Sydney or New York where there's a massive amount of 3d objects, not 2d hills.

There's a marked difference between playable and enjoyable. It's the difference between seeing a flock of birds flying under you, or a bunch of white dots in V formation.

I'd be looking at a minimum of gtx1660ti/super, rtx2060, 5700xt or 6600xt

Thanks!

What is the name of the flight sim dad is using?
Some like fs2020 are very needy of resources.
There are other much easier sims.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and X-Plane 11 (w/ addons if available)

I currently have the RX 6600 and it does great with flight simulator would definitely recommend this card. I bought it on Best Buy for $475usd it is the MSI Armour AMD RX 6600 8G. Not sure how much that converts to your currency

I'm seeing the RX 6600 for £329 on offer from Scan/MSI. The RX 6600 XT for £399.

KyaraM

Admirable
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and X-Plane 11 (w/ addons if available)

I'm seeing the RX 6600 for £329 on offer from Scan/MSI. The RX 6600 XT for £399.
For that price I would go with the 6600XT, unless you want him to be able to use DLSS when it releases for Flight Simulator, in case FPS aren't good enough. Then the 3060 it is. Or, if the 3060 is cheaper, go for that.

Also, as someone else stated, your RAM speed is where it should be, no need to worry. Speed given is effective speed, which is 2x the actual speed. You are good.

Elfreda

Commendable
May 8, 2020

Thanks! I think that's the card he is going to order :) Some good cashback on that card as well! Via work reward program.

The 6600 is kinda wimpy for its asking price, the 6600xt is somewhat better all around, @ 20% better, without a 20% price hike.

Neat! I've a 3070 Ti FE myself and still chasing the 3080 stock ha!

For that price I would go with the 6600XT, unless you want him to be able to use DLSS when it releases for Flight Simulator, in case FPS aren't good enough. Then the 3060 it is. Or, if the 3060 is cheaper, go for that.

I'm seeing a 8GB RX 6600 XT for £469.99 and a Gigabyte 3060 12GB for £489. Double the DDR6 for only £20? How's them numbers translate in performance.

I don't think DLSS will benefit him personally. I don't use it on Warzone due to it tanks my FPS. Can't even stream and play since OBS eats 50FPS (1440p 60-80FPS with OBS | 120-140 without). Trying to work out a budget stream only rig to go dual system but me and specs don't mix unfortunately.

Also, as someone else stated, your RAM speed is where it should be, no need to worry. Speed given is effective speed, which is 2x the actual speed. You are good.
Phew!

KyaraM

Admirable
Thanks! I think that's the card he is going to order :) Some good cashback on that card as well! Via work reward program.

Neat! I've a 3070 Ti FE myself and still chasing the 3080 stock ha!

I'm seeing a 8GB RX 6600 XT for £469.99 and a Gigabyte 3060 12GB for £489. Double the DDR6 for only £20? How's them numbers translate in performance.

I don't think DLSS will benefit him personally. I don't use it on Warzone due to it tanks my FPS. Can't even stream and play since OBS eats 50FPS (1440p 60-80FPS with OBS | 120-140 without). Trying to work out a budget stream only rig to go dual system but me and specs don't mix unfortunately.

Phew!
I would grab the 3060. It's technically slightly weaker, about 2% or so (so, neigible), but the additional RAM can give you an edge especially later on, and DLSS as well. For 20 bucks more, that's a good deal I think. It's also better than a 6600 by about 5%.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With a 3070ti, you could try using NvEnc instead of OBS, OBS/H-264 can be somewhat brutal on mid tier cpus.

Elfreda

Commendable
May 8, 2020
I really appreciate all your comments! I ended up ordering a 3060 on his behalf for him.

I would grab the 3060. It's technically slightly weaker, about 2% or so (so, neigible), but the additional RAM can give you an edge especially later on, and DLSS as well. For 20 bucks more, that's a good deal I think. It's also better than a 6600 by about 5%.

Good shout!

With a 3070ti, you could try using NvEnc instead of OBS, OBS/H-264 can be somewhat brutal on mid tier cpus.

I've NVENCE set as the encoder already in OBS, streaming 720p60. I've a Ryzen 9 5900X w/ ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING.

TRENDING THREADS