Which graphic card and processor is compatible with my motherboard?

maverickwookie

Prominent
Nov 18, 2018
So I want to upgrade my computer, but not really sure which graphic card and/or processor is compatible with my ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+ motherboard. I currently have GTX 950 2gb as my graphic card and a AMD Athlon X4 860k Kaveri Quad-Core 3.7 GHz as my processor. Which graphic card and processor can be compatible with my motherboard?

I'd have to say that you're pretty much topped out for CPU on that socket FM2+ board, although if you can find it an Athlon 870K or 880K might improve a little. But the gain is so small that it's really not much worth it.

You might consider a GTX 1050TI, RX560, RX570 or 1060 for video card. They may be throttled by the CPU, a 1060 in particular, but you'll be positioned with a starter GPU for the inevitable next step: a decent Ryzen cpu/motherboard/memory.

That's old tech and super budget even for the time so it's doubtful you're going to get much better than mediocre gaming performance in modern titles and the 870K just won't add a lot more to make it worth the expense. The 880K might not be a good fit on that board...it has only 3 phases and no FET cooling. The only really good reason to upgrade the GPU is, as i said, it will be a serviceable starter to help economizing the next upgrade.

In that motherboard? no way. The 1700X needs AM4 and the A68M has FM2, completely different sockets, completely incompatible.

The 1080TI would fit but would also be hopelessly throttled and wasted with whatever you could put in an FM2 socket.

You'd need an mATX motherboard (B350 or B450) and decent DDR4 memory to go with those two and you'll be good as gold.