[SOLVED] Which Graphic Card is Better?

Tatoline

Reputable
Apr 12, 2020
We are trying compare our graphic cards with my brother. We couldn't detect, how can we compare them? What specifications we should check?

I have desktop computer with 2 graphic cards which are Sapphire HD 7950 , they are connected with crossfire cable (I don't know is it important or not).
And my brother has a gaming laptop which is MSI Titan GT75VR 7RF. We don't know how many graphic cards it has, we couldn't find any information about number.

What are the methods for comparing GPUs?

Solution
If you want to play games, a 7950 is not the card to use.
It was good for mining but not for gaming.
Sell them on ebay. the price you get will be all over the place.
7950 is roughly the equivalent of a GTX1050; a $130 card.
Using two of them may improve graphics in some games, but the combination of two may play no better than a single RX570 or GTX1060.
Three of them is totally useless.
If you use whatever case that holds your motherboard, you will be OK.
If you can buy a single GTX1080 class card you will have a very good gaming graphics card.
For a rough estimate of graphics card performance, look at tom's gpu hierarchy table:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

WildCard999

Titan
It's a GTX 1080 8gb in that laptop which is far surperior in gaming performance over the HD 7950 even in Crossfire.

Comparing benchmarks with the same game is usually the best way to compare cards. Userbenchmark works for comparing single cards.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-vs-AMD-HD-7950/3603vs2160

If you play the same game at the same resolution & settings then you can compare the FPS between your two systems.

Tatoline

Reputable
Apr 12, 2020
Thank you for answer. The link you sent showing desktop version of GTX 1080, isn't it important for laptops or desktops?

And Average User Bench looking +261%, so if I connect 3x HD 7950, it will better than just one GTX 1080 right?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Crossfire and SLI technologies do not scale at all in a linear manner. 2 cards will NOT give you double the performance, not even close, and 3 cards will not come close to triple performance.

Further, multi-GPU support is dying. Some few games support it, many don't. Further, sometimes, a multi-card setup can HURT performance.

This does not even take into account how atrociously power-hungry such a setup is.

A higher-performing single-card setup is a far superior, far more reliable option.

WildCard999

Titan
Why do you want to compare?
Perhaps bragging rights?
What decisions might you make based on the comparison?

Have each of you play the same game at the same settings and compare.
You might just get a feel for how the game plays.
Then swap who plays the game.

Dual gpu will be prone to screen tearing or stuttering so that experience might be inferior.
Or, you might measure with something like fraps to get frame rates.

Tatoline

Reputable
Apr 12, 2020
Oh I got the main idea about multiple GPUs, thank you all.

Ok I'm explaining whole story then. I bought these 3 graphic cards which are Sapphire HD 7950 for mining BTC 8 years ago. After several months I quit mining since new mining machines pop up on market. So the system I bought just wait on a shelf for 7 years.
IMG-8548.jpg

Now I decide use it as a computer since my own computer's performance going down (it's much more older than mining rig, a laptop, Toshiba Qosmio F60-111). So brother and I searched and picked some equipment like SSD, RAM etc.

We bough a mid tower case which is compatible with ATX (Aerocool Aero One Frost). Since the motherboard ATX (Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0), it should be fit. But when we tried to assemble motherboard to case, we faced it doesn't fit just because 3rd graphic card; slightly overflow from edge:
Screenshot-1.png

Screenshot-2.png

After that we replace it with another case which is bigger and compatible both with ATX and E-ATX (Aerocool AirHawk Duo). But we encountered the same problem with this bigger case.

We discussed about this topic and we decided on two options:
  1. We will replace the mid tower case with a full tower case (an expensive solution)
  2. We will remove & sell one graphic card and use 2 graphic cards instead of 3 graphic cards

We really like my brother's computer's performance on games. So we decide to compare: If it will good as his computer with using 2 graphic cards, we will use like that. But if we need that 3rd graphic card, we will try to search a bigger case (probably a full tower).

Then we asked for help from you guys. And based on your comments, we learnt that we never have similar performance with GTX 1080 even if we use all the 3 graphic cards which are HD 7950. So most reasonable solution is: We will use 2 graphic cards with this mid tower case for now, and at the first chance we sell all of 3 graphic cards and buy only one GTX 1080 instead. We came this conclusion based on your comments.

Do you guys also agree with this solution right?

Note: We always play games together so this why we want similar performance.

If you want to play games, a 7950 is not the card to use.
It was good for mining but not for gaming.
Sell them on ebay. the price you get will be all over the place.
7950 is roughly the equivalent of a GTX1050; a $130 card.
Using two of them may improve graphics in some games, but the combination of two may play no better than a single RX570 or GTX1060.
Three of them is totally useless.
If you use whatever case that holds your motherboard, you will be OK.
If you can buy a single GTX1080 class card you will have a very good gaming graphics card.
For a rough estimate of graphics card performance, look at tom's gpu hierarchy table:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Reactions: King_V
Solution

Tatoline

Reputable
Apr 12, 2020
For the records, I can get double performance with crossfire and two same graphic cards.

This is the benchmark result with one graphic card:
image.png

And this the result for two same graphic cards that bridged with crossfire:
image.png

Note that I didn't make any special configuration like increasing MHz or overclock etc. for both of these tests.

You apparently are using a FX-4300 processor which is a very poor performer for gaming.
You are comparing to a modern laptop which undoubtedly has a much stronger processor and dedicated graphics chip.

If you are happy with the performance of your setup, fine.
But, I think neither your graphics cards nor your cpu are going to give you satisfying gaming performance.

Best, I think, to sell your setup as a mining rig which was what it was designed for.

Tatoline

Reputable
Apr 12, 2020
You apparently are using a FX-4300 processor which is a very poor performer for gaming.
You are comparing to a modern laptop which undoubtedly has a much stronger processor and dedicated graphics chip.

If you are happy with the performance of your setup, fine.
But, I think neither your graphics cards nor your cpu are going to give you satisfying gaming performance.

Best, I think, to sell your setup as a mining rig which was what it was designed for.

Actually no, I'm not happy with the performance of my setup. This is why I'm trying to improve. So should I change the CPU only or whole motherboard based on your opinion?

Reminder: My motherboard is Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0

Tatoline

Reputable
Apr 12, 2020
For a benchmark, yes, it's quite possible.

For real games, no.

I found a video that comparing single and double 7950 with crossfire on real games. This is the video:
View: https://youtu.be/65sjMDJqgm0

In this video, Battlefield 3 has 52 average frame rate with single 7950, and 101 average frame rate with double 7950 with crossfire. It is 95% increase. Okay not exactly double, but it's really close, isn't it?

Edit: What is the differences with benchmark and real games?

Last edited:
Your motherboard is, I think, one of the better ones for the FX processors; there would be no advantage in changing that out.
What you would get by changing out the FX-4300 to a fx-6300 or even fx-8350 would be added threads, from 4 to 6 or 8.
The problem is that the power of each of those fx threads is about the same.
You night do a bit better with a fx-8350. But, then you may have an issue with cpu and case cooling.

On the video, the processor used in the comparison was considerably stronger than yours.