Which Graphic card manfucaturs allows consumers to upgrade their GPU if a new model comes out after a set amount of days?

May 11, 2018
Hello guys. I read/heard multiple times before that there was a GPU manufacture, I think maybe EVGA but cant confirm, that allows a consumer to upgrade a gpu if they purchase it and a new one comes out within an allotted time (I think 30-60 days), and you pay the difference. IS that true and which company it is?

I am in a predicament where I bought a pair of great gaming monitors and planning to build a new PC but I wanted to wait out till the new GPU are released (1180 or 2080 whichever theyll name it). I have a gtx 650 TI boost atm and it really is not benefiting me with these monitors. I dont want to buy a new gpu and then in a month or so the new models are out.

Thanks

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
EVGA's "step up program" allows you to pay the difference between the cards and receive the latest model within 90 days.
https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Note it is only available to residents of the USA, Canada and EU member countries.

The absolute earliest (rumored*) for the next-gen of cards is July - but that would be the Founders Edition cards. You're easily looking at another 30 days beyond that for board partner cards to drop. That would put you into August for an EVGA card, at the earliest.

*https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-turing-faq,37067.html

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
yea for me getting one in july would be a fairly safe bet no sooner in my opinion. i am wondering though founders edition gpu's are they like not really all that good in comparison with the ones produced using custome coolers? never had a founder edition my guess is there both about the same but are they really?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Even July might be a stretch. For a FE card, possible..... but personally, I don't feel there's any chance anybody will be in possession of a partner card anytime in July.

At their core, they use the same (Nvidia provided) GPU die.
Typically though, their reference designs don't have overly beefed up VRMs, or anything better than "ok" cooling.
With TurboBoost restricting clocks based on temp/power requirements, partner cards with custom coolers (using the reference board design) will outperform a FE by varying margins.

Then, a step up from there, partners do make custom boards too (see ASUS Strix et al) - with enhanced power deliver + better cooling.
So those will either be OC'd higher from the factory &/or have additional overclocking headroom for the consumer AND have better cooling.

As of 10xx cards, FE typically come with an increased MSRP vs the base MSRP for partner cards -- but you do typically get them earlier and they were supposed to be better binned (never saw this confirmed IIRC).... so there's that.