[SOLVED] Which graphic card to keep?

Jun 14, 2021
Hello,
I would like to get some advice on my current situation.
I recently bought a new pre-built computer with a RTX 3090. Unfortunately, while mining some ethereum and playing WoW classic, the card died.
Because it was new, everything is under warranty and I was able to get the 3090 exchanged for another one, but I will have to wait a few weeks until it arrives.
Since there is the long delay for cards and I wanted to be sure the video card was indeed the problem, I searched for a suitable card to buy to test. As we know the current market is incredibly bad for GPUs and it’s very difficult to find a lot of good deals. Because of this aspect of the situation, I decided to settle on a preowned 2080 TI.
Thankfully, the 2080 ti works well and my computer seems to be fine now (aside for trying to figure out how to get all 4 sticks of ram to work, but that’s another matter).
Since I will now have two graphic cards, I have to decide which one to sell (can’t really return the 2080 ti because the eBay seller doesn’t accept returns and I don’t want to involve eBay since the card does work and is actually quite good). I was generally happy with the 3090, but it did make the area around me and it quite warm, which was a little uncomfortable. It also afforded me some future proofing by not needing to buy a video card for quite a long time.
The 2080 ti is nice, but it is last generation and if I did try to sell it, I would probably lose money.
So my question is should I keep the 2080 ti and sell the 3090 with the plan to wait until the 4000 series or just keep the 3090? Or would looking for a 3080 Ti be something to consider?

My specs if this helps are
Ryzen 9 5900x
32 GB now, but will be 64 GB of ram (Gskill)
Msi mpg x570 gaming edge WiFi.
Msi bran generation 4 ssd card.
The second ssd card will be a Samsung 970 evo plus
Currently a 850 Corsair power supply, but will be a 1200w Corsair power supply.
I will be playing mostly classic and retail WoW, Crusader Kings 3, Civilizations 5 and 6, the Sims 4, and other RPGs or strategy games.

Solution
If you are sure the 2080ti is fine, i'd sell the 3090. That's an EASY 2.2/2.5k eu/dollars which you could invest into the 4000 serie (i wouldnt bother with the 3080ti). The 2080ti is a very capable card still. And since you don't play any demanding game, that card could technically last you forever.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
If you are sure the 2080ti is fine, i'd sell the 3090. That's an EASY 2.2/2.5k eu/dollars which you could invest into the 4000 serie (i wouldnt bother with the 3080ti). The 2080ti is a very capable card still. And since you don't play any demanding game, that card could technically last you forever.

Reactions: spentshells
Solution
Jun 14, 2021
Hello,
Thank you for the advice. Yes, that was what I was thinking I could do with the money (it could actually be a little closer to $3k if I get lucky). I will miss having the 3090 a little though.
That’s why I chose the 2080 ti: the types of games I play aren’t too demanding so it could last me quite a while. (My last major computer purchase lasted me 8 years). Also, this experience helped lessen my reluctance to replace components (I still wouldn’t want to mess with cooling systems) so now I will be more willing to get a newer GPU if and when I want to upgrade.

Hello,
Thank you for the advice. Yes, that was what I was thinking I could do with the money (it could actually be a little closer to $3k if I get lucky). I will miss having the 3090 a little though.
That’s why I chose the 2080 ti: the types of games I play aren’t too demanding so it could last me quite a while. (My last major computer purchase lasted me 8 years). Also, this experience helped lessen my reluctance to replace components (I still wouldn’t want to mess with cooling systems) so now I will be more willing to get a newer GPU if and when I want to upgrade.

If you dont do ray tracing the 2080ti is a very capable card.

Next gen due next year is supposed to be insanely fast and video card prices should be more reasonable by then. With what you get 3090 money you could buy next gen that is over twice as fast.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
In this market, you won't lose any money reselling a 2080 Ti. Use it for however long it takes, then put it back on ebay for what you paid. Oh, and when you get your 3090 back, you should be more careful and not push it so hard. You may encounter the situation where there are no cards to replace yours with, and the parts that are needed to fix yours are unavailable. Card makers are issuing refunds to some people if they can't do a warranty service in a reasonable time, and the money they will pay won't be enough to buy another one with the prices being what they are.