Jul 27, 2019
Hi I built a very low budget PC a few years ago and I am ready to make some upgrades to it. I think I am going to go with a MSI Geforce GTX 1660 ti for $269 or
is there something else in the $250 - $300 range that I should get instead?

I am also going to get the ryzen 5.

Will my old Gigabyte 970-Gaming -SLI-CF be able to handle this? I'm not really sure how important motherboards are and if mine is ok.

I also have two Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3. Will I need DDR4? and again is DDR4 compatible with my motherboard?

What is the PSU I will need to run this?

Jul 27, 2019
do I need DDR4? Will not having DDR4 effect my performance drastically? and is it worth upgrading my motherboard now to be able to support DDR4 moving forward?

You need to change the Motherboard, if you want support for DDR4. But there is no point in this, since PCI-e is backwards-compatible. It will hardly make any huge difference in Gaming.

If you want to upgrade to the RYZEN CPU, then your motherboard needs to be changed for sure. Or else, look for some other compatible CPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sambuca
Jul 27, 2019
ok well then if I need DDR4 to use the Rayzen 5 CPU then I guess I need a new motherboard also so I guess I am just building a brand new computer from scratch.

PSU: ?? Not sure what I need here

Get any decent PSU model from reputed brands like SEASONIC, BE QUIET, Corsair, ANTEC, EVGA, FSP group.. Look for at least a min 550-650 Watts PSU, just for some extra headroom as well.

These are high quality units. Look for similar SKUs. Assuming you have budget.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum.

CORSAIR AXi, RMi, RMx 550/650W, SF, HX 2017, HXi.

FSP - Hydro PTM 550/650W.

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Maker MiJ, V series 550/650W.

Antec - High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, Earthwatts Pro Gold, HCG Gold.

Super Flower - Leadex Gold II.

be Quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11, Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro P10.

EVGA -Supernova G1+, GQ, P2, T2, G2, B2, BQ =>750

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Please change your selection of case.
Closed off, or almost closed off, front panel cases make functionally no sense.
That's where the bulk of the cool intake air comes through. If you choke that off, what do you think happens to the temps inside the case?
If you don't live in a warm climate area, this won't be too serious, but do expect higher average idle and load temps which will cause your fans to run louder by default.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Please change your selection of case.
Closed off, or almost closed off, front panel cases make functionally no sense.
That's where the bulk of the cool intake air comes through. If you choke that off, what do you think happens to the temps inside the case?
If you don't live in a warm climate area, this won't be too serious, but do expect higher average idle and load temps which will cause your fans to run louder by default.
Based on the components they've selected a Ryzen 5 2600 and a GTX 1660 Ti are not going to put out enough heat that they'll benefit from an open front case, that case has small inlets on the top and bottom anyways.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.