Which graphics card for my Gaming Build @ 1080p?

MachX

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
Hi Guys,

After a long time here in the forum.

Just wanted to know as I'm confused.

This is my build

i5 -4590
H97 plus Motherboard
Gskill 2 x 4 1600 RAM
1 TB HDD
Windows 10 x64 pro

I want to buy a good graphics card which will max out almost all games at 1080p

I have few in my mind like Gigabyte G1 GTX 970, or the R9 390 or the X version of it.

My budget is almost around 30K INR, I'm from India, so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks and cheers!

Solution
" Power supply and electric bill is not a problem for me."

That's not the problem. The problem is that the power supply needs sufficient wattage on the 12V rail, in order to power the graphics card, or even if it's suitable to use with the GPU. (ie. has enough PCIe power connectors, or is simply of high enough quality)

Seeing as the R9 390 is not an option within this budget, a GTX 970 will do fine at 1080p, although it may run into problems in DX12 games, seeing worse performance when compared with the R9 390. (Async Shaders) In DX11 games, the R9 390 and GTX 970 should perform comparably.

In terms of what is more "future-proof", assuming that means longevity, I'd suggest an R9 390, with both double the VRAM, and better...

KarlKarrlander

Honorable
May 7, 2015
When it comes to maxing out most modern games at 1080p, then the GTX 970 (regardless of manufacturer) and AMD R9 390 will do the job. In most games you can maintain a steady framerate of 40 and above with both cards. I for one am able to run Fallout 4 maxed out at 1080p with a steady framerate of 50-55 (can go higher if you tweak the settings and have the right CPU for it).

So for a $300-350 budget, these two cards will do fine.

On a side note when it comes to comparing the R9 and GTX 970, the R9 does actually have a higher RAM capacity and AMD has updated their drivers in a more effective fashion this year. But on the other hand, many modern games today are more optimized for Nvidia's cards.

So in the end, it doesn't really matter which one you choose, they will both get the job done.

MachX

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
Power supply and electric bill is not a problem for me.

Just want to know which of these 2 is more future proof and can handle all games at ULTRA@ 1080P

MachX

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
Plus I'm playing Need for Speed 2015 in my intel HD 4600, the game starts, the moment you start driving white screen, I updated my video drivers to the latest, still no go, any help would be great. Thanks

TheDudeThatLurks

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2016
" Power supply and electric bill is not a problem for me."

That's not the problem. The problem is that the power supply needs sufficient wattage on the 12V rail, in order to power the graphics card, or even if it's suitable to use with the GPU. (ie. has enough PCIe power connectors, or is simply of high enough quality)

Seeing as the R9 390 is not an option within this budget, a GTX 970 will do fine at 1080p, although it may run into problems in DX12 games, seeing worse performance when compared with the R9 390. (Async Shaders) In DX11 games, the R9 390 and GTX 970 should perform comparably.

In terms of what is more "future-proof", assuming that means longevity, I'd suggest an R9 390, with both double the VRAM, and better performance in games using Async Shaders, aiding longevity.

Solution

KarlKarrlander

Honorable
May 7, 2015
Here's a simple guideline that will be true no matter what you do when it comes to building/upgrading computers:

Low end components: Low quality power.
High end components: High quality power.

If you're aiming for a rig that sports some pretty high-quality components and will run under heavy loads and intensive tasks, you need a power supply that can regulate the appropriate amount voltage/wattage and power to these components without:

A: Damaging them.

B: Causing failures.

Hence the importance of a functional, high quality PSU based on this kind of usage. See this list for some of the better and worse PSU's out there: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

TRENDING THREADS