[SOLVED] Which graphics card for my machine to make BFV and hopefully BF6 run smoothly?

draikin1

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
Considering my machine consists in a CPU i5-4440 from 5 years ago, 16GB RAM DDR3, GTX 960 and a Solid State Hard Drive. And that BF5 runs OK in medium details but often gets laggy. And thinking of buying a GTX 1660 Super.

Will that make BF5 always smooth, and is it reasonable to hope that with this card BF6 will also run smoothly / lag-free?

Solution
These guys are telling you the truth about your cpu. While it can still play games it's not the smoothest experience as you have seen.

I was in a worse situation as I had a i7 960 and upgraded to a 2070S because BFV was stuttering. Well, the gup helped vs the 1050Ti but micro stutters would still occur. The cpu just can't feed the gpu fast enough.

On my 3800x and 2070S BFV is buttery smooth.

draikin1

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
Well the game runs fairly smoothly in medium details on my machine, I just have lags in some areas of certain maps. It is hard to believe that a graphics card that is so much more powerful than mine won't be enough to handle these lags. Any second opinion?

jadc007

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
you may/will also be experiencing "Bottleneck is a kind of hardware limitation in your computer. A bottleneck occurs when the capacity of an application or a computer system is severely limited by a single component. ... Bottlenecks affect microprocessor performance by slowing down the flow of information back and forth from the CPU and the memory " So just buying a GPU might not be the only shout

These guys are telling you the truth about your cpu. While it can still play games it's not the smoothest experience as you have seen.

I was in a worse situation as I had a i7 960 and upgraded to a 2070S because BFV was stuttering. Well, the gup helped vs the 1050Ti but micro stutters would still occur. The cpu just can't feed the gpu fast enough.

On my 3800x and 2070S BFV is buttery smooth.

Reactions: drivinfast247
Solution

draikin1

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
Uh? I7 is pretty powerful, I can't believe this CPU + a 2070s wasn't enough to make BFV. Or are you talking about 4k or something? I'm talking 1080p medium details. There's no way in the world that such machine cannot make the game run smoothly in these conditions. Or your OS was completely screwed, or you have 2GB RAM, or something else.

I don't buy that, it's way too extreme.

I'm talking about your case, about mine I still don't know but the bottleneck issue is concerning..