[SOLVED] Which Graphics card to go for?

Zachh00

Honorable
Mar 8, 2016
i am thinking of upgrading my graphics card my current specs are

I5-6600k
Gtx 1060 6gb
psu 650w
cooling Corsair h100i (I could be wrong but im pretty sure it's that one)

i would like to start upgrading it as the parts are gradually getting older and older :LOL:
I was thinking about purchasing a 1080 or a 1080 ti as they are going down in price since the rtx series released im wondering which to go for with a price range of around 350-400 im not sure if this is too tight, but i've seen some around that price range.

Im asking here because i'm not sure the difference between a 1080 and 1080 ti performance wise and also which brand to go for.
(im not good with this stuff which i was im here :p)

Solution
I see, you can tell i'm not good with this kind of stuff unfortunately...:(
There are a LOT of people who make that assumption with the concept of bottlenecking. If you ever see a "bottleneck calculator" then ignore it - it will be worse than useless.

I can only ramble on for so long until i need to make a decision and just go for it i'll probably go for the 1080ti. will there be a noticable difference switching from my 1060 to 1080ti? im guessing yes, but i want to make sure 😆

Definitely - further, having done some checking, when I looked earlier, it was under £500, but now it's showing a little over £700. I would NOT pay that much for it.

If that price dips back down again, it's worth grabbing.

If not, refer back...
An RX 5700XT is best for 400 dollars.
It has similar performance to a 2070 super and comes close to the 2080, both of which costs 100-400 dollars more.
I suggest waiting for more custom AIBs with cooling fans instead of the blower fan on the reference card as they will have lower temps, but keep in mind those will cost more than the blower fan cards.

Zachh00

Honorable
Mar 8, 2016
so what about this one? is this any different cooling wise or is it exactly the same? im only asking because it's by msi i could be acting dumb right now but im really not good with this stuff :LOL:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-RADEON...gb+video+card&qid=1565830434&s=gateway&sr=8-1

would more vram matter? i play on 1440p and i noticed the 1080 ti has 11gb whereas the one you suggested has 8gb.

would that card also work fine with my cpu with no problems?

Last edited:
That is a blower fan card, and has worse cooling.
Just wait for more custom AIB's to come out in a few days.
VRAM isn't everything and the 5700XT actually performs about as well as a 1080 Ti, for just a bit over half the price.

intel and amd cpu/gpu combo should be completely fine. You may experience a bit of a decrease of performance compared to an all amd build, but it would be negligible.

Zachh00

Honorable
Mar 8, 2016
Ok, ill wait until then, is there any brands i should look out for that are good? my graphics card is made by ASUS and keeps farley cool i have never had issues with high temperatures.

Zachh00

Honorable
Mar 8, 2016
ok, ill definitely keep this card in mind after looking at videos i can see why it's a lot better than the 1080 ti.

when you say decrease in performance compared to an all AMD build, is that a big decrease or not noticeable? will it affect the fps in anyway?

Zachh00

Honorable
Mar 8, 2016
Sorry, one last thing, i was looking at videos comparing the rx 5700 xt and the GTX 1080 ti and in a lot of games the 1080ti had a higher average fps. i noticed it when the Resolution was higher is that because of the 11gb of vram compared to the 8gb?

it's not a big difference im just wondering why, this time here shows what i mean
View: https://youtu.be/xxm1lUhDpwY?t=444

I'm just asking these question as i'm not knowledgeable with this stuff so i'm curious. 😁

And seeing as the RX is a lot cheaper for the performance i guess it is the right card to get.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
i am thinking of upgrading my graphics card my current specs are

I5-6600k
Gtx 1060 6gb
psu 650w
cooling Corsair h100i (I could be wrong but im pretty sure it's that one)

i would like to start upgrading it as the parts are gradually getting older and older :LOL:
I was thinking about purchasing a 1080 or a 1080 ti as they are going down in price since the rtx series released im wondering which to go for with a price range of around 350-400 im not sure if this is too tight, but i've seen some around that price range.

Im asking here because i'm not sure the difference between a 1080 and 1080 ti performance wise and also which brand to go for.
(im not good with this stuff which i was im here :p)

This question is impossible to answer without knowing the specs of your monitor:
  • Resolution?
  • Has Gsync, FreeSync, or neither?
  • Refresh rate (or FreeSync range, if it has FreeSync)?
What are your goals? Super-fast frame rates, or max details at 60fps at a given resolution?

Finally, it's important to know what the exact brand and model of your PSU is, to see if it's up to the task of a more powerful video card.

Reactions: extreme_noob

Zachh00

Honorable
Mar 8, 2016
1440p
Gsync
144hz
not super fast frame rates but i'd like to stay above 60fps, as most games i play now with this card and 1440p go below 60fps quite frequently.

I can't remember what my psu is and it is covered up in my case it could be CX650M

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
FreeSync and GSync are both adaptive sync technologies. FreeSync is an open standard, GSync is Nvidia-proprietary.

If your monitor is a GSync monitor, then it's better to go with an Nvidia card.

You can use an AMD card with it, but then you couldn't use the adaptive sync capability.

Previously, Nvidia wouldn't allow their cards to work with FreeSync. Starting with the new drives a few releases back, the Nvidia 10-, 16-, and 20- series cards would work with FreeSync.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I found this card would this be fine with my current cpu I5 6600k? or would it bottleneck a lot?

Discard the word "bottleneck" from your vocabulary.

There's almost ALWAYS a weak-link in the system. USUALLY when you're talking about a GPU, the mistake is to assume there's some sort of "ideal match" between a GPU and a CPU.

That is wrong. Typically, there's a closer correlation between the GPU and the Monitor.

However, it also depends on the specific game. Some require a lot more CPU power than GPU, others, the other way around. Some are RAM hungry. Some multi-thread well, and some require high single core speeds.

The video card you've picked, though, will go nicely with a 2560x1440 monitor if you're looking to get really high frame rates.

Also: important to note: Getting a better video card can NEVER make your CPU perform any less than it used to. Your CPU may become the weak-link because it's no longer being held back by a lesser video card that can't keep up with it for the particular game(s) you're playing, but the CPU will NEVER do WORSE than it used to by getting a better video card.

Think of if this way - water flowing through a pipe. Your CPU is a 2-inch pipe pushing water into your current 1060, a 1-inch pipe. The CPU could push more, but the GPU is holding it back.

Now, you've replaced the 1060/1-inch pipe with a 1080Ti, which is a 3-inch pipe. Your CPU now can push much more water through than it could before, but now the GPU is not being maximized.

This is not a problem, really. After all, if a 2060 Super, or 5700 would be considered a 2-inch pipe GPU... and you can get the 1080Ti / 3-inch pipe for less money, then the extra capacity is there if you ever decide to upgrade your CPU. You don't have to, but you have the reserve.

Zachh00

Honorable
Mar 8, 2016
I can only ramble on for so long until i need to make a decision and just go for it i'll probably go for the 1080ti. will there be a noticable difference switching from my 1060 to 1080ti? im guessing yes, but i want to make sure 😆

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
There are a LOT of people who make that assumption with the concept of bottlenecking. If you ever see a "bottleneck calculator" then ignore it - it will be worse than useless.

Definitely - further, having done some checking, when I looked earlier, it was under £500, but now it's showing a little over £700. I would NOT pay that much for it.

If that price dips back down again, it's worth grabbing.

If not, refer back to the link with the performance of a bunch of cards that I posted earlier: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx_5700-rx_5700_xt,6216-2.html
2060 Super or 2070 - around 60fps, often more, dips below (rarely) in a few games.

2070 Super, 2080, 2080 Super, 2080Ti - increasing performance and price.

The 1080Ti performs at the 2080 non-super level.

Unless you play Metro Exodus . . then even a 2080 can AVERAGE 60fps with Ultra details. Metro Exodus is clearly a game that wants to brutalize video cards, lol

Solution