[SOLVED] Which graphics card to pick?

siveshen

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
Hi all.

Could someone please tell me if getting an rtx 3060ti would be worth it over the Rx 6600/Rx6600XT? Is the RTX 3060 a good option? Pricing is as follows:
Rx 6600: 522$
Rx 6600xt: 647$
Rtx 3060: 661$
Rtx 3060ti: 885.81$
I have a super flower platinum 550W PSU. I would mainly like to play Skyrim with the 4K/8K textures. I quite like the folkvangr grass mod but it used to tank my gtx 1660 supers FPS. My resolution is 1080p. I was wondering if the 6600/6600xt would be crippled when using those high Res textures due to its 128bit bus? Which card Is the best choice for 1080 Ultra? The RTX 3060ti seems like overkill but I'm unsure. Spending the least amount for the best performance is what I'm looking at. Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Solution
Idk who you're responding back to since i don't see any replies, however, here are my two cents.

The RTX 3060 ti is considered the best price-performance for 1080p, but you say you want to use textures higher than that, so I'd say go for the RTX 3060, if we go by general performance, it's a bit lower than the 6600XT [raw performance, not considering DLSS/FSR] but it won't make much of a difference, but the main point is, it has 12 GB of VRAM, so it will certainly handle textures better than the 6600XT (which has 8).

Now don't get me wrong, but I've never gone beyond 1080p OR used mods on Skyrim so i don't know how much will those higher textures need, but i do know that more VRAM is better for higher textures, so yeah, I'd place the...

siveshen

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
Ok great thank you so would those 8gbs of vram be an issue because I saw rx6700xt with 12gbs around the same price. My psu should be sufficient for the rtx cards. Are those power spikes something I should be worried about? I'm hoping to get a gpu and just leave it in the system for the next few years. I'll stay at 1080p so I don't mind turning things down to high if I need to in the next 3 to 5 years.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Idk who you're responding back to since i don't see any replies, however, here are my two cents.

The RTX 3060 ti is considered the best price-performance for 1080p, but you say you want to use textures higher than that, so I'd say go for the RTX 3060, if we go by general performance, it's a bit lower than the 6600XT [raw performance, not considering DLSS/FSR] but it won't make much of a difference, but the main point is, it has 12 GB of VRAM, so it will certainly handle textures better than the 6600XT (which has 8).

Now don't get me wrong, but I've never gone beyond 1080p OR used mods on Skyrim so i don't know how much will those higher textures need, but i do know that more VRAM is better for higher textures, so yeah, I'd place the 3060 as the most feasible here, but yeah, if you got the extra money, can go for the 6700xt.

Reactions: siveshen
Solution

siveshen

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014

Now don't get me wrong, but I've never gone beyond 1080p OR used mods on Skyrim so i don't know how much will those higher textures need, but i do know that more VRAM is better for higher textures, so yeah, I'd place the 3060 as the most feasible here, but yeah, if you got the extra money, can go for the 6700xt.
Thanks man those other posts are gone for some reason so it looks like I'm talking to myself lol.

Dec 31, 2021

Interesting. Does it really work like that in general? Sure it has more VRAM, but the TI is an entirely different chip with way more muscle.
Will that extra VRAM ever matter if the brain isn't strong enough to drive the pixels?

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
One last thing if you don't mind please. How much of a performance upgrade would the rtx 3060 be from a gtx 1660 super? Vram aside
Looked up a benchmark online, in AC Valhalla, the 1660S scores 48 fps at the exact same moment where the 3060 scores 74, and there's a general 30 fps difference throughout the benchmark, so yeah, it's a good gap from my POV

Reactions: siveshen

siveshen

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
It's not an upgrade I would make personally, I'd always recommend doubling performance if you can. It depends on how desperate you are for 12GB VRAM though, some of these mods have fairly extreme memory requirements.
The rtx 3060ti is around 250 dollars more than the base rtx 3060. I'm currently using a 550w PSU so even if I did go with the rtx 3060ti I'd have to get another PSU first.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Interesting. Does it really work like that in general? Sure it has more VRAM, but the TI is an entirely different chip with way more muscle.
Will that extra VRAM ever matter if the brain isn't strong enough to drive the pixels?
It isn't exactly like that, a balance between both is favoured, but since the mods in Skyrim have textures upto 4k, the VRAM is more or less the deciding factor here, because Skyrim isn't THAT GPU intensive (seriously, even my 1650 mobile gets 60 when it's not modded)

Otherwise if it's in the budget and you need better overall performance instead of a general game there's no reason not to go for the 3060 ti (except the 12 GB VRAM, i guess)

Reactions: Heytherefriend_