[SOLVED] Which graphics card would fit here?

Sep 8, 2019
Aloha!

This is a picture of the inside of a Acer X3450 with an onboard Radeon HD4250.

The onboard graphics card is too slow (using Windows10) for my son to play Minecraft properly. It might be caused by the drivers, but in all it's quite outdated.

So the idea is to use a dedicated graphics card instead but the question is, is that possible?
If so, what kind of graphics card should I be looking for?
I.e. what is the technology of this slot on the photo?
Do I need to stich to a specific version or release for it to work with this motherboard and Windows10?

I'm not looking for ultra powered graphics card, just one that can render Minecraft and Sketch-Up (design program) well.

Rest of the specs:
  • AMD Athlon II X4 645
  • Motherboard: ACER DA880L-NAD1 (?)
  • 6Gb DDR3 RAM
  • 128Gb SSD
  • Built date somewhere in 2011
The last graphics card I put in was a PCI based card back in the '90's.. ;) So your thoughts are much appreciated, thanks!

51qUWW.jpg

O30sw7.jpg

JGLfSd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: dvb69
Solution

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
It looks like a normal pci slot for gpus but i honestly dont know but the gpu you can use for that cpu is not really worth it in todays market

Try look maybe in upgrading the plat form
I know you can get a ryzen 2200g and a320 motherboard with 4 gb of ddr4 ram for under $200 and the intergrated graphics on that chipis perfect for light gaming like minecraft (60+fps on high @1080p) and can even play gta v at 60fps at 720p

Edit: compared to the gpu that the previous commenter posted
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...iGPU-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-GT-710/m441833vsm77649
Ram and motherboard and cpu cost about $152 vs 56 just for a slow gpu

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019
The slot you have is PCI-E x16 version 2.0.
Unofficial MoBo specs: http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/acer-da880l-nadia-mainboard-specifications-7252012h16/

As far as which dedicated GPU fits in there, well, any single-slot PCI-E GPU who's TDP is under 75W. E.g GT 710 (19W),
HD 4250 vs GT 710 comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/ATI-Radeon-HD-4250-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-GT-710/m7965vsm77649
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/Jgbkcf,2BjWGX,gkYWGX/

Brilliant insight and detail, exactly what I was looking for!
Thank you so much!

Sep 8, 2019
Try look maybe in upgrading the plat form
I know you can get a ryzen 2200g and a320 motherboard with 4 gb of ddr4 ram for under $200 and the intergrated graphics on that chipis perfect for light gaming like minecraft (60+fps on high @1080p) and can even play gta v at 60fps at 720p

It's a good thought and I may have considered it more seriously if it wasn't for the special small format of the housing and the fact that's meant for low budget gaming. It does make me realize there's a significant upgrade possible in steps, thanks for that!

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
It's a good thought and I may have considered it more seriously if it wasn't for the special small format of the housing and the fact that's meant for low budget gaming. It does make me realize there's a significant upgrade possible in steps, thanks for that!
There are ton of small form factor boards for a320

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
But then you also have to deal with the proprietary case/front panel connectors and the likely proprietary power supply connection. While a new system would be recommended, once you add in the new case and power supply, it gets quite a bit costlier.

-Wolf sends
Yeah maybe the psu might still be fine cuz all you need is the 24pin and then buu a cheap ass case hes not going for aesthetics

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah maybe the psu might still be fine cuz all you need is the 24pin and then buu a cheap ass case hes not going for aesthetics
Only thing OP needs is dedicated compatible GPU and that's it. Suggesting a new PC every time someone wants single piece of component in their old PC is missing the point.

It's like when i have an old car and want to find/get compatible transmission to it, while you come along and say:"well, go and buy a new car". :heink:

Sep 8, 2019
I've bought a simple (but expected to be effective) MSI GT 710 2Gb card for 43,- euro. Perfect match what I'm concerned.

Passive cooling, so quiet.
Small, so should fit.
19W, so should work with the power supply.

My son will be very happy!

Thanks a bunch y'all!

Sep 8, 2019
GT 710 is not necessary going to be any better than integrated HD4250.
GT 730 would be significantly better.
There's always better..

According to the comparison it should perform 6x better than the 4250. That sounds like enough of an improvement to me.

I'll find out though and will share my findings here.