Question Which graphics card ?

Dec 3, 2021
[redacted]

I have a bunch of gpu's laying around and want to put them to use. i have 4 k20's and a k80 i got in a mystery box auction. it had some random other server stuff. ok i want to know what cards i can pair with these i have heard/ seen on you(i can fake anything)tube that you can pair these up with other cards to help render. i have several servers supermicro and hp dl360 and 2 t5500s to work with. my question is which if any can i pair them with out of the following that i have . quadro 4000k, a quadro 7800 i think, gtx 8800, gtx750, gtx 960, 8 gtx 970 fe, 2 1080ti, 2 1660 supers, and a rtx 3060 i also heard you need a special software. i don't remember the name but i want to say it was named after a god. and i also have sli cables. i do have some other cards but they are from mid 90's. any advice or direction would be great. oh and trashing them and buying a new gpu is not the point. i am using them as a render farm and to teach my grand kids about pc's without trashing mine

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
SLI is gone at this point, best work with the single most powerful GPU at hand. Also, you need to keep in mind that adding GPU's doesn't end there, you need to factor in whether your PSU can handle the juice the added components will need.

I'd ask for specs but it seems mutli-GPU setups are just something from the early to mid 2000's, not the case anymore. What app do you use to render and what do you render?

Dec 3, 2021
SLI is gone at this point, best work with the single most powerful GPU at hand. Also, you need to keep in mind that adding GPU's doesn't end there, you need to factor in whether your PSU can handle the juice the added components will need.

I'd ask for specs but it seems mutli-GPU setups are just something from the early to mid 2000's, not the case anymore. What app do you use to render and what do you render?
well my personal rig is more than capable if i wanted to tie it up. ryzen 5950 128g 3600 ddr4 with 4 2t Samsung nvme drives and a 3090ti.
and this is a teach thing also for my grand kids and while i love them i am not going to let them learn to strip a pc down on my rig
edit: forgot all servers a running dual 750w psu and the work stations each have a 875w psu

ok well most of the gear is from 2010 ish going to drop them in servers all 4 servers and 2 workstations have dual x5680's 196 g 133 ecc reg, with minimum of 1t of drive and up to 60t worth of hdd on one. i use daz, poser, blender, photoshop and max/maya but i do have older copies of unity, cinema 4d, zbrush and Houdini. i also run Kontakt and some other sound software and a laser etcher, cnc, 3d printer, motion capture, 3d scanner, dj mixing software and a several voice modulators. so dividing up the work would help.