xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Hello guys,

Im looking forward to buying a new monitor and i want to go with something thats useful with my actual configuration and that will remain useful for a future gpu upgrade:
Im running a GTX780 and i want to buy the cheapest 1080p 144hz 1ms gsync out there, I know that this card only supports gsync monitors and those freesync ones wont work with it.
So, is there any budget display which i can use now with gsync and in a near future with either gsync/freesync?? ( obviously when i change my GPU).

Thank you for reading.

byebye.

Solution
Is it really worth to buy an "old" display that just has gsync ?
G-Sync monitors are not necessarily "old". There are still new screens being released using Nvidia's chipset, so both can be considered "current", even if regular G-Sync may limit future upgrade options that support the feature. For pairing with a newer graphics card, I would personally prefer the "compatible" option, since it leaves open the possibility of getting adaptive sync on cards from other companies, but in your case, it's a bit more difficult to say, and the original G-Sync might be worth considering if you don't plan on upgrading your card anytime soon. And you don't necessarily "need" adaptive sync, but it can help smooth motion when your frame rates...

WildCard999

Titan
If you go Gsync then you'll have to use Nvidia GPU's from then on until the monitor is upgraded. If your going to upgrade your GPU in the near future then I'd consider Freesync as most of those monitors work with both Nvidia & AMD GPU's. Going Freesync now also saves you a bit of money.

To answer your question though this is the cheapest I could find.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: Acer XB241H bmipr 24.0" 1920x1080 180 Hz Monitor ($349.99 @ B&H)
Total: $349.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-23 14:29 EDT-0400

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Thank you for the reply.

So if i go with Freesync now i will have to upgrade my GPU to use it, right? Arent there some freesync new monitors that are still compatible with gsync and my oldy gtx780?

WildCard999

Titan
So if i go with Freesync now i will have to upgrade my GPU to use it, right? Arent there some freesync new monitors that are still compatible with gsync?
You would need to update the GPU to use Freesync but most of the newer Freesync monitors work with newer Nvidia GPU's (10XX series or newer) when paired with a Displayport cable and newer drivers.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

This one is much cheaper then that Gsync monitor.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: Dell S2419HGF 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($129.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $129.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-23 14:43 EDT-0400

One last thing to consider is that your monitor is typically the least upgraded part so get something you'll want for at least a few years, even if you have to wait and save up a little bit more it's worthwhile in the long run.

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Thing is that i dont want to upgrade my card yet but i do want to have 144hz with gsync for some time. I play old fps games and im sure my next graphics card if any new, is going to be nvidia.
What should i do?

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
im aware of that. It doesnt matter if i cant achive beyond 144hz now, i want this monitor to last and to use gsync now with the 780 and then either gsync or a-sync with a new GPU. All i want to know is i will be able to run 144/240hz on the monitor with displayport regarding achiving those framerates.

thank you for the heads up. Im watching this one now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01MCYUV19/ref=olp_f_new?ie=UTF8&f_new=true

would run with displayport with my gtx780? at 1080p. Bare in mind i play in ultra low quality for max fps.
According to the product description in the title, "...with G-Sync Compatible/ Adaptive Sync..." which means, no, adaptive sync would not work with your card with that screen. "G-Sync Compatible" means its a FreeSync display that Nvidia has certified to meet their standards for G-Sync, and those will only work with 10-series cards and up.

Also, $400 seems like a lot for a 24.5" 1080p display, even if it is 240Hz. The benefits of 240Hz seem a bit questionable to me, especially if your system can't push 200+fps in most games. If you were going to spend that much, it might be better to just get a 144Hz "G-Sync Compatible" FreeSync screen for around $200, then put the other $200 or so toward upgrading to something like a GTX 1660 (or spend a bit more, if you want a more substantial upgrade).

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
I thought the gtx780 being gsync compatible would work with any monitor that has gsync on it. why wouldnt this one?

About the "get a 144Hz "G-Sync Compatible" FreeSync screen " , i was thinking that model was the one we are talking about..but 240hz lol

Ive got that model from this list: https://thepcenthusiast.com/freesync-monitors-that-are-compatible-with-g-sync/

What im trying to get is a display that supports gtx780gsync RIGHT NOW, and that also has freesync/a-sync for the future to make it last.

The problem is that these FreeSync monitors certified to be compatible with G-Sync (aka G-Sync Compatible) are only supported by Nvidia's 10-series and newer cards. Your GTX 780 supports "G-Sync", but not "G-Sync Compatible", which makes for somewhat confusing terminology now that I think of it. : P

G-Sync screens perform adaptive sync using a proprietary chipset from Nvidia, whereas the G-Sync Compatible screens do so using the open FreeSync standard now incorporated into many DisplayPort chipsets as DisplayPort Adaptive Sync. If you wanted to run adaptive sync on a GTX 780, you would need a "G-Sync" screen with that Nvidia chipset built-in, which tend to be more expensive for a given feature-set. With a newer (10,16,20-series) card, adaptive sync would also be supported on "G-Sync Compatible" displays, and even most uncertified screens supporting FreeSync over DisplayPort would work. Nvidia only added support for adaptive sync on these other screens back in January, and only did so on the current generations of cards.

As far as I know, no screens currently support both G-Sync and FreeSync/G-Sync Compatible/DisplayPort Adaptive Sync. So you can either get a G-Sync monitor that only supports adaptive sync on Nvidia's cards, or one that supports adaptive sync on all newer cards from Nvidia, AMD, and probably Intel once they launch their own graphics card lineup next year, but not those somewhat older Nvidia cards like the GTX 780.

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
The problem is that these FreeSync monitors certified to be compatible with G-Sync (aka G-Sync Compatible) are only supported by Nvidia's 10-series and newer cards. Your GTX 780 supports "G-Sync", but not "G-Sync Compatible", which makes for somewhat confusing terminology now that I think of it. : P

G-Sync screens perform adaptive sync using a proprietary chipset from Nvidia, whereas the G-Sync Compatible screens do so using the open FreeSync standard now incorporated into many DisplayPort chipsets as DisplayPort Adaptive Sync. If you wanted to run adaptive sync on a GTX 780, you would need a "G-Sync" screen with that Nvidia chipset built-in, which tend to be more expensive for a given feature-set. With a newer (10,16,20-series) card, adaptive sync would also be supported on "G-Sync Compatible" displays, and even most uncertified screens supporting FreeSync over DisplayPort would work. Nvidia only added support for adaptive sync on these other screens back in January, and only did so on the current generations of cards.

As far as I know, no screens currently support both G-Sync and FreeSync/G-Sync Compatible/DisplayPort Adaptive Sync. So you can either get a G-Sync monitor that only supports adaptive sync on Nvidia's cards, or one that supports adaptive sync on all newer cards from Nvidia, AMD, and probably Intel once they launch their own graphics card lineup next year, but not those somewhat older Nvidia cards like the GTX 780.
Thanks for the explanation. Can you please list me the cheapest Gsync 240hz monitor for my gtx780?
Is it really worth to buy an "old" display that just has gsync ? I come from a 60hz monitor. Even if a can get above 144hz without gsync i think i will see a clear difference here...

Is it really worth to buy an "old" display that just has gsync ?
G-Sync monitors are not necessarily "old". There are still new screens being released using Nvidia's chipset, so both can be considered "current", even if regular G-Sync may limit future upgrade options that support the feature. For pairing with a newer graphics card, I would personally prefer the "compatible" option, since it leaves open the possibility of getting adaptive sync on cards from other companies, but in your case, it's a bit more difficult to say, and the original G-Sync might be worth considering if you don't plan on upgrading your card anytime soon. And you don't necessarily "need" adaptive sync, but it can help smooth motion when your frame rates are below your monitor's refresh rate, which on a high refresh rate screen is likely to be much of the time, at least for newer games.

As for suggestions, I'm honestly not sure what the best options are in the 240Hz range right now, though they are all likely to be 1080p TN panels priced upward of $400. With the really high refresh rate screens, you are oftentimes going to see things like color quality and contrast take a backseat to pixel responsiveness though. I would personally lean more toward a 144Hz high refresh rate screen, where there are a lot more options available, and at lower prices. If image quality is a concern, rather than just refresh rate, something like a VA or IPS panel screen might be worth considering, as they generally offer superior color quality, even if their pixel response times are not as fast as TN.

Solution