Which hard disk for backup?

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Looking for internal SATA hard drive for desktop. I have 3 HD's already, all being WD blacks.
I am looking to get one more, preferable 500GB if not 1TB.
Usage is mainly for backup (software, data, music).

Which drive would be a good buy?

Hi there shaqblogs2011,

In case you want to go to WD once again, and as you don't really want a performance drive as WD Black, you can take a look at WD Blue: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=FMzr2L

You can choose between 5400 and 7200 RPM models. As you need it for just backing up data, a 5400 RPM model will do the job.

Keep in mind that WD Blue has 2 years of limited warranty while WD Black is a premium product and has 5 years of limited warranty.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Thanks for the reply.
I am leaning towards WD since I have had good experience with it so far, but Not with seagate. How is the blue in terms for long term reliability? 2 years warranty makes me hesitate.

Well, of course, warranty period could be more or less indicative of the reliability of a given product. This is valid for all the products, not only HDDs.
Yet, no matter the warranty, a hard drive could fail in a day or last for 10 years. The most important thing would be to keep an eye on it's health status(with WD's DLG tool) and back up the data stored on it.

As you will use the drive only for back ups, I think that WD Blue will do just fine. Also, it falls in a lower price range compared to WD Black. On the other hand, if you are happy with WD Blacks, you can just get that one.

It's really up to you.

D_Know_WD :)