[SOLVED] Which Hard Drive Best for Internal Usage?

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Storage of Music, Photos, Some Personal Videos, currently have a WD Black 4TB Internal, and barely even using half the drive

Have a 1TB that is just sitting in it's anti static bag waiting to be used again, should i remove the 4TB from internal, stick that in Enclosure, and put WD Black 1TB back Internal? ((Probably would just restore Macrium Reflect Image taken of 4TB Drive to the 1TB Drive) ) so shouldn't effect any programs, and be a quick restore of system

Still have to create the image though, didn't get that done today sadly

You say you are using about half of the 4 TB.

That's 2 TB.

All of that won't fit on the 1 TB.

I'm guessing that the 4 TB is a boot drive and that you are thinking about moving ONLY Windows and applications from the 4 TB to the 1 TB and then continuing to use the 4 TB as a storage only drive.

Is that right?

Or is Windows on some unmentioned drive?

I'm confused.

Is it not possible to have both drives internal, without an enclosure?

What's the brand and model of the 1 TB...it may be slower or older than the WD 4 TB Black?

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
You say you are using about half of the 4 TB.

That's 2 TB.

All of that won't fit on the 1 TB.

I'm guessing that the 4 TB is a boot drive and that you are thinking about moving ONLY Windows and applications from the 4 TB to the 1 TB and then continuing to use the 4 TB as a storage only drive.

Is that right?

I'm confused.

Is it not possible to have both drives internal, without an enclosure?

What's the brand and model of the 1 TB...it may be slower or older than the WD 4 TB Black?

Not Boot Drive, Just Storage, Boot drive is Nvme 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, Game SSD is Samsung 860 Evo 1TB

Space used right now before i delete some stuff 784GB, 2.86TB free currently

used to have about 3TB free

1TB Drive is WD Black, which would be the new Storage drive, or i can leave it as is, and stick the 1TB in Enclosure

And Discontinue use of Toshiba 2TB from December 2014 currently in Enclosure

No room to have both internal, all spots full right now

You currently store 784 GB on a 4 TB internal.

You could move that 784 TB to a 1 TB internal.

I wouldn't UNLESS I had a better use for the 4 TB.

Your 1 TB drive would be about 80 percent full.

What is the advantage of having a 4 TB in an enclosure rather than internal? It is much faster as an internal.

I assume you cannot have BOTH 1 TB and 4 TB as internal.

I don't see any advantages in doing what you propose.

I'm probably missing something.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
I think might just leave as is, and make the 1TB External i suppose or maybe use the older 1TB WD black drive to replace Moms in her older system Toshiba 1TB drive. Just wanted to find a good use for the WD Black 1TB drive really lol, and keep the Toshiba 2TB in the enclosure it's in currently i suppose

No room for both internally in this desktop unforuately lol