[SOLVED] Which hard drive docking station should I get to pull data off of a Western Digital Passport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I have a Western Digital Passport from 2011 that died on me. It doesn't respond when I connect it to a computer. I want to rip the hard drive out the encasing, put it in a hard drive docking station, and clone to the data to an internal hard drive (either IDE or SATA). I realize that the hard drive itself might be dead and the data is gone for good, but I still want to try. And I also need a docking station for future use, regardless of the outcome of this project.

Which hard drive docking stations would accept the hard drive inside of a Western Digital Passport and allow it to get cloned to a standard sized internal hard drive?

Which docking stations have the best reputation for quality and reliability?

Do any hard drive docking stations allow for cloning from old spinning hard drives to solid state drives?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
Current WD Passport drives integrate the USB-SATA bridge on the HDD PCB. Earlier WD models had a separate USB-SATA bridge PCB. Open the case and check what you have.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS