Which Hard drive to use

Richard226

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Hi guys and girls

I wanted a little help with choosing a replacement harddrive for my Desktop as my old 2 harddrives have now started to show signs of old age (they are getting increasingly senile and keep forgetting that they are there :eek: ). I am using a SSD drive (160gb) as my system drive but i want to have 2 harddrives as my storage for things like I-tunes, photos and steam.

My motherboard is Asus Sabertooth x58 with a I7 950, 8 GB Ram so i do have access to Sata 6gb (if i switch it on) but to be honest 3gb is working for me just fine.

I am looking for a harddrive that is fast,reliable, around 1tb or 600gb but i dont want to spend the earth as i would then be looking at SSD. I never got a velociraptor harddrive but i was wondering if that was the way to go or would some of the 40 quid Samsung drives be just as good but a fraction of the price.

I am in the future going to be setting up a file sever so these drives will mainly be used for games and photo editing.

Thanks for all you help

Rich

Richard226

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
cool thanks, have you used a WD caviar black?

I have avoided WD in the past as they used to some quality issues but i must admit that i havent used them in a while.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

No, never used one but I've had one of the little 74GB raptor for years and it has never had a problem.