which has more Lifespan (endurance) Samsung 850 pro or 960 EVO NVMe (256GB)?

muelltfz

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
so which has more lifespan sata ssd or nvme ssd . please answer my question and dont tell me it doesnt matter (like most people did lol) cause i just wanna know pls :).
(256GB) the 850 pro has 150tbw and 960 evo has 100tbw. same price
i read that you can write 1200 TB in the 850 pro then its gone, i dont know about 960 evo. please help thanks.

Solution
850 pro by a wide margin has better endurance than the 960 evo
960 evo is tlc flash decent tlc flash on 20nm or so its good for may be 3000+ write cycles
850 pro is on 40nm CTF mlc flash, vnand mlc has much greater endurance than tlc of its class usually 6 times the endurance but because its also vnand CTF flash also in a larger lithography all of these factors greatly increase endurance especially the fact that its on first gen 40nm it should be theoretically much greater than that maybe 36000 write cycles
there was a test done on a 256gb 580 pro that came out with that kind of endurance, i have attached the link at the bottom
don't let anyone tell you it doesn't matter it does, but you are unlikely to ever use up the endurance of...

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
It really doesn't matter though, to the average user anyway.
Unless you are actually hitting the total writes per day cycle both ssds will live well beyond the time before your next upgrade, assuming you are talking strictly about the write endurance.

USAFRet

Titan
I know you said "dont tell me it doesnt matter"...but it doesn't matter.

Write cycle lifespan of either will last long beyond when they are useful due to size.

Unless you are hosting a database server on this, with millions of writes per day....it will either become obsolete due to size, or die from something else.

Don't stress over this.
Just buy one.

My eldest SSD will be 6 years old soon. Currently, ~42,000 hours. Still going strong, with 99% life left.
It is a 128GB Kingston HyperX, now relegated to secondary duty due to the size.

USAFRet

Titan

And I do a LOT of photo work, CAD, host a couple of VM database servers for development work....
Your use case isn't that special.

For your use case, I'd have no problem buying either of those drives.

All these drives are proving to have a lifespan far in excess of the number on the warranty. To the point of you'd have to write hundreds of GB per day, every single day, for years.

The primary thing you need to consider is that ALL drives die. EVO, NVMe, HDD, whatever. ALL of them, eventually.
In this case, 'eventually' will be a long time for either of those drives.

How to protect against that? A comprehensive backup plan.

If it dies within the warranty period, you get a new one, free. Recover your data from the backup.
If out of the warranty period...well, it had a good run.

"(256GB) the 850 pro has 150tbw and 960 evo has 100tbw"
http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/support/warranty.html
The 850 Pro has a 10 year warranty. Highly doubtful you'll still be using this as a primary drive in 10 years, simply due to the size.

The 960 EVO only has a 3 year warranty.

Given that disparity, and if it worries you, get the 850 PRO.

(but it really doesn't matter)
(and create and implement a good backup plan)

Jorhan

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
850 pro by a wide margin has better endurance than the 960 evo
960 evo is tlc flash decent tlc flash on 20nm or so its good for may be 3000+ write cycles
850 pro is on 40nm CTF mlc flash, vnand mlc has much greater endurance than tlc of its class usually 6 times the endurance but because its also vnand CTF flash also in a larger lithography all of these factors greatly increase endurance especially the fact that its on first gen 40nm it should be theoretically much greater than that maybe 36000 write cycles
there was a test done on a 256gb 580 pro that came out with that kind of endurance, i have attached the link at the bottom
don't let anyone tell you it doesn't matter it does, but you are unlikely to ever use up the endurance of the evo unless you run a write intensive server or work with large files regularly, but if you are concerned 960 pro is a good choice its vnand mlc on 20nm fast with good endurance much maybe not the endurance of 850 pro but speed counts too
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/endurance-test-of-samsung-850-pro-comes-to-an-end-after-9100tb-of-writes.html

Solution

muelltfz

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017

thank you youre the one who doesnt repeat and act like a robot when ask with these things and USAFret thank you u too!!