Which HDD died the most?

Which HDD did you use in your life died the most number of times?

• Western Digital

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Seagate

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Samsung

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Hitachi

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Maxtor

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • IBM

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Others (Please Specify)

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters

ReliReli

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Everyone's always had problems with Maxtors as far as I can remember. It's saddening to see, given my two 80GB 7200RPM Maxtors have served my entire system since its inception in early '02, and they've had everything plus the kitchen sink thrown at them with no problems whatsoever.

Seriously. Not a single problem. I've torn these guys to shreds with what I've put them through. I could've used them in RAID that whole time!

My old, old computer was - yes, a 386, and it had an IBM drive, I think. Later I had a 600MB Fujitsu installed but it failed too. That thing was hideous.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I don't think your survey will really explain which mark is the good one.

The result of your survey said that Maxtor died the most. Well Seagate bought Maxtor. Maybe in a couple of years you won't see Maxtor anymore.

Less people vote Samsung and Hitachi, that's maybe because not a lot of people are using those mark so they can't really know how is the reliability of those HDD.

The dead of HDD can be caused by lots of aspects.

Straker

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I've never had a problem with WD and Seagate drives. But all four of my Maxtor drives died. I'm buying Seagate drives now.

jonkc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Maxtor sucks the big one... :evil: Where I work we had to replace well over 200 maxtor drives before, during and after a dell recall... They sent Western Digital drives in their place.... I have also had a couple die on me in my personal use as well...
I have used WD, Seagate and Hitachi with no problems...

GrimReaperGuy

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Maxtor had some serious problems up until a couple of years ago, now they seem to have really pulled themselves back up. Had around a hundred 40GB Maxtor's die after six months or so. Their new stuff seems great though...

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Maxtor drives rule. They're cheaper than everything else (although usually only by £5 or so) and I've never had one fail. I have one 16gb one from 1999 that's still going. My 250gb in my PC is a Maxtor, it was cheap, and it works quieter even than a new SATA Seagate I installed recently. I even have a 10 year old 6gb Maxtor in my PS2 - no problems there either!

Now WD drives...that's another story. In my experience they are noisy, slower than others (though not 'slow' exactly) and more expensive. They also make up most of the drives that I've ever had fail.

It seems that, in my house at least, the adage that people seem to adhere to of WD being the best and Maxtor being the worst is turned on it's head.

(Seagate are okay, I've only ever had SCSI Seagate drives fail)

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Maxtor drives rule. They're cheaper than everything else (although usually only by £5 or so) and I've never had one fail. I have one 16gb one from 1999 that's still going. My 250gb in my PC is a Maxtor, it was cheap, and it works quieter even than a new SATA Seagate I installed recently. I even have a 10 year old 6gb Maxtor in my PS2 - no problems there either!

I hope you back up regularly, cuz nobody, NOBODY - escapes the Maxtor disc death grip forever. Your time is coming...

siggsy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Well, I normally swear by WD after several Maxtor drives failing but I have also seen a lot of Fujitsu disks going that way............but then again, I do work for Fujitsu ;) Thankfully, not in their production side of things :)

Maxtor have good warranties which a friend of mine has had to use quite often with several disks going down. He's always received a free replacement but imo I would try to avoid needing them replaced by buying something else!

I'd agree that WD tend to be a bit noisier but I'm ok with that - just buy a decent case :p

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I don't like Maxtor products. I have had 3 of them crapping out on my in the last year and they were all under a year old. Also, I don't like their RMA politic, they are fussy about it and need their stupid error code before allowing you to return their crap.

Scooby2

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
Despite the Poll I've installed for others and owned many Maxstor drives myself over the years. On the whole they are reliable. On the other hand I bought 3 IBM Deskstar drives about 2-3 years ago and not one of them lasted 18 months. Two of them failed in six months.

Currently I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10(SATA) and an older 200gb IDE Samsung in my main machine. Since its only been running since the start of August its too early to say much about the Seagate other than its fast. The Samsung has given about 2 years worth of good service so far.

But my ancient Quantum Fireball just wont quit. Very Happy
So it was you who got the good one :D

G

As others have mentioned and from personal experience the IBM deskstar series, especially the IBM Deskstar 75GXP (AKA "The Deathstar").
Truly terrible reliability.

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
ok,
in my opinion i think maxtor gets the most fails, because there are a lot of maxtor drives in computers, i think they are in a term of reliability are each others match, especially, the reputated companies like maxtor, WD, IBM,..

off coarse the IBM Deskstar sucked but that's an exception.

the only drive ever failed me was a maxtor, but my computer, the computer of my parents, my girlfriend,... all have maxtor drives, and i only have build one of these (mine) :lol:

so, just my opinion, always be careful when you read polls!

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I voted for IBM over the whole deathstar thing other then that I have been fairly lucky. Runner up I would say is maxtor, I have only owned 2 and one did fail on me. I still have a working 6.5GB quantum drive around here somewhere. I hear seagates are realy good but I have to say the most experience I have is with Western Digital's and they have been good to me out of like 14 drives I have only had one go bad and they RMA'd me a new one to replace it for free.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I voted for Maxtor but the worse was Quantum. I think the were bought by Maxtor. Very Happy

Yep. Quantum was bought by Maxtor and now Maxtor is bought by Seagate. Soon Seagate will create a dead disks too, don't you think ?
Then Seagate will be bought by WD, or Samsung or IBM or Hitachi and in the end, there will be only one manufacturer on HDD that won't last long.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Just a survey to see which HDD is better. :D
i had 2 hd failures:

1- a 850MB from Conner, a company that doesnt exists anymore
2- a 1.2GB from Quantum, which doesnt exists too. also, the problem was due to a power failure, so my power company bought me a new one.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
a 850MB from Conner, a company that doesnt exists anymore

I had this HDD before. i only got 3 months warranty from the shop. damn...after 4 months it made a "nice" noise everytime i boot my Pentium 2 233 MHz. Just like a married people and they put cans in the back of their car then drive it. But wait a moment...it's only making noise for around 3 or 4 days, it was working very well. You know what was happen after those days ? It become a real noisemaker on my PC. I tought the manufacturer put lots of cans inside. Then it died peacefully. All my datas are gone. It was the datas for my college.
And the next day i got Quantum Fireball KA with it's 7200 rpm. And this Quantum just rocks, i loved how it sound when you just turn on your PC and then turn it Off, just like a jet. And when it works...you stay 50 meters far from the HDD, you'll still be able to hear it. I still have this Quantum, i supposed it's still works. It just loose one pin of its IDE connector.